Zotero not working after update

After my desktop app updated last week to the latest version, it won't start up and I get
these error messages. It says there's a database upgrade error. I've tried reinstalling Zotero several times, but get the same message every time. I'm afraid my tech skills have a sharp decline after that point, so I'm hoping someone can help me know how to get my app working again. Thanks.
  • What are the filenames, sizes, and dates of zotero.sqlite* files within your Zotero data directory?
  • I can't tell. When I click the "Show Data Directory" button, it doesn't do anything.
  • That suggests that there's a problem with the folder, but the data directory is just "Zotero" in your home directory. You can find it in Finder or click on your desktop (to activate Finder), go to Go → "Go to Folder…", and type ~/Zotero.
  • OK, make a backup of those files in a temporary directory on your desktop, and then try deleting zotero.sqlite.tmp.
  • Looks like I'm still getting the same error messages when I delete that file.
  • The same error message? "No such file or directory" for zotero.sqlite.tmp? Is the zotero.sqlite.tmp recreated?
  • Yes, exact same error message. And yes, the file is recreated.
  • @adavis785: Sorry, wrong link — ignore my previous message. Can you generate a Debug ID for Zotero startup?
  • When I put the code into the Terminal, it just gives me the same error.
  • That's not going to fix anything, but if you do it right it should open up a separate window for debug output logging.
  • It tries to open up the window, but just gets the same error message like this.
  • OK, then you can use -ZoteroDebugText instead, save the output to a text file, and either post somewhere or email to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • edited January 28, 2020
    zotero(3)(+0000002): Global schema needs update from 4 to 5

zotero(3)(+0000000): HTTP GET resource://zotero/schema/userdata.sql

zotero(3)(+0000001): HTTP GET resource://zotero/schema/userdata.sql succeeded with 200

zotero(3)(+0000002): Backing up database 'zotero'

zotero(4)(+0000004): PRAGMA main.locking_mode=NORMAL

zotero(4)(+0000273): PRAGMA main.locking_mode=EXCLUSIVE

zotero(1)(+0000014): Error:

Unix error 2 during operation move on file /Users/[…]/Zotero/zotero.sqlite.tmp (No such file or directory)
    (No stack trace)
    From previous event:
    Zotero.Schema</this.updateSchema@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/schema.js:162:15
    Unlikely to help, but have you tried restarting your computer?

If that doesn't work, are you running any sort of security software that might be interfering with normal disk operations? I don't think we've ever received a report like this.
  • I've restarted it a few times, and I've tried reinstalling a few times, too. I don't believe I have any security software.
  • edited January 28, 2020
    As a temporary workaround just to open Zotero again, you may be able to fix this by going to your Zotero profile directory, opening prefs.js in TextEdit, and adding this line:

user_pref("extensions.zotero.backup.numBackups", 0);

Then save the file and try again.
  • That worked! Thanks!
  • OK, so unfortunately that does leave Zotero's automatic backups off. You can try resetting that preference from the Config Editor in the Advanced pane of the preferences and see if it happens again, and either you can switch this back off or we can debug further at that point.
  • I don't know how to do that in the Config Editor. That looks like it's beyond my computer skills.
  • Open the Config Editor, type in numBackups to filter for that line, right-click the line, and choose Reset. It should set it back to the default of 2.
  • Ok, I reset that line, quit Zotero, then re-opened it and it seems to open fine. Does that mean it's fixed?
  • No, Zotero doesn't create a backup every time. It was doing it for you before because there was a database upgrade. It also tries to do it every 24 hours, but those are allowed to fail silently. So you might get the startup error again the next time there's a database upgrade.
  • Ok, good to know. Thanks.