Tag overlapping on the left panel

This happens to me in my laptop but it doesn't in my desktop.

Beside differences in hardware and in font dpi settings (due to different screen sizes), the systems are the same:

Operating System: KDE neon 5.17
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.66.0
Qt Version: 5.13.2
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-24-generic
OS Type: 64-bit

PS: I wanted to create an issue about this in Github to attach a screenshot of the issue, but I understood I am not supposed to that

• You can upload a screenshot somewhere (e.g., Dropbox) and provide a link here.

Also, you don't say what Zotero version you're running.
  • > You can upload a screenshot somewhere (e.g., Dropbox) and provide a link here.

Please see:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/3875196/72562875-6b903580-387a-11ea-8fb5-e87033a7523b.png

> Also, you don't say what Zotero version you're running.

Yes, right, forgot about it. Here you have the info of the zotero deb package that I installed in both computers:

Package: zotero
    Version: 5.0.81
    Priority: optional
    Section: Science
    Maintainer: emiliano.heyns@iris-advies.com
    Installed-Size: unknown
    Depends: libatk1.0-0, libc6, libcairo-gobject2, libcairo2, libdbus-1-3, libdbus-glib-1-2, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6, libgcc1, libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0, libglib2.0-0, libgtk-3-0, libnss3-dev, libpango-1.0-0, libpangocairo-1.0-0, libpangoft2-1.0-0, libstartup-notification0, libstdc++6, libx11-6, libx11-xcb1, libxcb-shm0, libxcb1, libxcomposite1, libxcursor1, libxdamage1, libxext6, libxfixes3, libxi6, libxrender1, libxt6
    Download-Size: 63.0 MB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-deb/releases/download/apt-get ./ Packages
    Description: Zotero is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share research
  • Does this happen at all widths of the left-hand pane, or only some?
  • How about different UI font sizes? View → Font Size
  • I've created an issue for this, but I don't know when/if we'll be able to investigate.

Just so we have the information, what's the screen size and what's the font DPI on the computer where this is occurring?
  • It was actually the Font DPI setting. I don't recall why but it was strangely set to 115. I changed it to 120, and now everything is in order.

I think zotero tag display should, however, be resilient to any DPI setting is in play, shouldn't it?
  • It should, but the tag selector generation code is pretty complex, and it's not too surprising that the font DPI could throw it off. For performance reasons (since there could be hundreds of thousands of tags) it only draws tags in view, but to know the height of the list for scrolling purposes it has to calculate the width for each tag with the current font, so it generates those off-screen in a <canvas> tag and measures the element. In your case, the canvas-based off-screen rendering and the non-canvas on-screen rendering appear to be different for some reason. Someone who was able to reproduce it could debug this in that code, but given that there's an easy fix, it's probably not worth worrying about.