Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again.

It's my first time using Zotero and, frankly, it's being traumatic. I have read a number of threads with similar problem here and couldn't find a solution to the problem.

I've installed Zotero-5.0.80 (four times, at this point, I must add). I use Microsoft Word for Mac v16.32, in a macOS Catalina version 10.15.2. Basically, the plug-in is there but every time I click on it this message appears "Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again."

I have tried literally everything. Of course Zotero is open. I've tried installing it manually, at least twice. I checked to see if the integration was enabled both in Mac and in Zotero (curiously, the only option available for me when I go to the Word Processors part in Zotero is "Use classic Add Citation dialog") and yes, they are. And, since my Mac is brand-new, I even made an upgrade to the newest OS available (Catalina). And I have restarted the computer every single time.

I'm totally hopeless at this point. My girlfriend has my old MacBook and Zotero works just fine for her. It's a mystery.
  • curiously, the only option available for me when I go to the Word Processors part in Zotero is "Use classic Add Citation dialog"
    If that's the case, the plugins aren't loaded.

Can you provide a Report ID to start?
  • Report ID: 1691572957
  • I did it!!!!

In Zotero, I went to Tools, then Add-ons, and disabled everything. Then I enabled it again and it started working immediately!!!!

Now Word Processor looks different, giving me LibreOffice and Microsoft Word options.

Honestly, I've been struggling with Zotero since 2017 - when I tried installing it for the very first time and had a similar problem. I ended up giving up on it and would have done it again if my supervisor wasn't so insistent on it.

Thanks anyway!
This discussion has been closed.