LibreOffice integration with OpenJDK instead of Oracle Java

edited November 7, 2019
Hello,

Oracle adjusted it's licence policy so that it is not allowed to use Java on non-private computers without payment. I use zotero-LibreOffice for a long time and want to install it on my computer at the research institute as well. Unfoutunately I run into problems installing the Zotero-LibreOffice integration (plug-in). In the process of installing it from within the add-ons pane of Zotero I get the message: "Zotero Libre-Office plug-in requires Java Runtime Environment".

This is not a privat computer so I need to use the alternative free version of Java OpenJDK. I installed it under Windows 10 with the installers from the AdoptOpenJDK project (https://adoptopenjdk.net/). First I installed the current 13 version. Still the message that JRE is required appeared.

After reading some of the post in this forum I decided to switch back to version 8 and installed the OpenJDK version 8. On command line"java -version" shows:
openjdk version "1.8.0_232"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 1.8.0_232-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.232-b09, mixed mode)
Still when trying to install zotero LibreOffice plug-in I get the message that java is missing.

Any Idea how I can use Zotero integration into LibreOffice without infringe software licence or make my institution feed Oracle with money?
I can not belife that two leading open-source projects like Zotero and LibreOffice depend on proprietary software from Oracle while there is an opensource alternative.
  • See https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#installation_error

Make sure that LibreOffice has a valid JRE selected. OpenJDK should work on Windows.
  • Thanks. Although Java was activated in LibreOffice the installation dialog from Zotero did not allow to install zotero. Manual installation from LibreOffice extention manager finally did work.
  • I can confirm this. Zotero apparently does not "see" the AdoptOpenJDK java installation and just gives a link to java.com when you click "Install LibreOffice Add-in". I see no "Manual Installation" button.
    But I located the extension (C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org\install\Zotero_OpenOffice_Integration.oxt) and installed that manually through LibreOffice extension manager, and now it works.