Saving PDF on Zotero

I am using google chrome and have the zotero extension, but when I click the icon for saving the document, it just saves the site and not the pdf. I have checked my options and the "Automatically take snapshots when saving items" and "Automatically download associated PDFs and other files when saving items" are checked. Not sure what I am doing wrong here. I would really appreciate any insight!
Thank you!
  • Could we get a sample URL exactly as you see it please?
  • Yes, of course.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1201373/
    For example, for this article, I am able to save the URL, but when I go onto the pdf
    ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1201373/pdf/nihms2689.pdf) it only lets me save the link with the icon appearing as the white lined paper instead of the pdf icon.
    I know someone that is able to save the link AND the pdf, but I can only seem to save the link and sometimes the pdf, but never both simultaneously.
    Thank you again!
  • edited October 23, 2019
    You should automatically get an item, PDF, and snapshot when saving from either of those links. There's no need to save the PDF separately.

Normally you would just save from the article page, though in this case Zotero's PubMed Central translator supports either URL, so it doesn't matter. Since that's the case, seeing the journal article icon is perfectly normal and expected. If you really wanted to override the default and save the PDF directly, you would right-click on the button and select the PDF option from the Save to Zotero menu, but that shouldn't be necessary.
    I have checked my options and the "Automatically take snapshots when saving items" and "Automatically download associated PDFs and other files when saving items" are checked.
    Just to clarify, do you have those checked in the preferences of the Zotero program itself or in the "Save to Zotero.org" section of the Zotero Connector preferences? In the save popup, does it say it's saving to Zotero or to zotero.org? Is the PDF listed and you're getting a red X next to it, or something else?
  • So I see that it takes a snapshot of the articles, but it is essentially a link. I want to have a snapshot of the pdf attached so I can access it without internet.
    I have the preferences checked on my google chrome extension. I always open the zotero app before I save articles to make sure it is saving to the app. I don't get a red X, since it is successfully saving the articles, but I just can't see the PDF on the zotero app.
    Please let me know if this is possible to resolve.
    Thank you again for your help!
  • I have the preferences checked on my google chrome extension. I
    Those aren't the relevant ones, though. Do you have them checked in Zotero itself, in the general tab of the preferences?