inline [author:1990] & Bibliographic reference

In the Office of Native Title we prepare reports using simple inline square brackets for simple references eg. at the end of a bockquote as [Hiatt:1996, p.31].

In the bibliography we list:
Hiatt:1996 [TAB] Hiatt, L. R. ... publication details.

Same year publications simply become Hiatt:1996a and Hiatt:1996b etc.,

In footnotes, usually reserved for adding material rather than simple quote references, where we use the short form as well:

1. Haitt:1996, pp.120-125: He argues...

The bonus of this system is that cutting and pasting keeps the quotes together with their references (not much of a problem with modern word processors -- though ibids still seem to be a problem), also that the inline references make it easier to follow where quotes are coming from (there is usually a central document being written about, hence the sequence is sometimes important).

It is not the most elegant form of referencing, but it seems to work very well for us. I could not find anything like it the styles (though I stopped in the mid-"p"s).

I had a look at CLS, but did not think I would manage with my available time.
  • I can have a look later but what I don't think is possible is to have a different style for Footnotes and text. So footnotes would look like: [Haitt:1996, pp. 120-125]: He argues. You can manually remove the square brackets.

I also don't know if I can put a tab after the author name. Otherwise this should be pretty straightforward.

do you have a styleguide you can link to?
    Does the style use ibids?
    how do you deal with repeated authors in biography (i.e. just list them several times or substitute subsequent by ----?
  • edited July 19, 2009
    Thanks adamsmith, I will look to see if I can find a reasonable style guide at work if I can.

It is not a pretty reference style, and I have seen it used before being employed at ONT, I did not like it very much to begin with, but it has proved itself practically -- inline references are functional.

Obviously perfect solutions are not practical. The Short Title element is perfect (ie LastName {colon} Year plus serial-Alpha -- put in by hand), and the square brackets can be typed when required. Basically it would be in bibliographies:

Short-Title {spaces} Authors, publication-title, publisher and year.

In citations, Short-Title {comma space} p.

For our purposes, at least, the details are not important, what is important is getting the Short-Title in the right place.

If there is a place to get CLS for established styles, and the means of referencing the Short-Title was made known (it may be obvious in the existing CLSs), then I could put one together myself I think. I just have not found a repository for CLS, just an example. If I can see a number of established styles, see what they do when I ujse them in zotero, I should be able to work the rest out (I hope).

Many thanks -- Greg
  • I'll be glad to help later, but to see csl at work, check out the chrome panel:
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul
  • adamsmith -- thnkyou for this reference it may be exactly what I am looking for.
  • great - I'll let you to play with it then - any problems you run into post here and maybe me or someone more knowledgeable will be able to help!