Firefox Connector not capturing (Safari defector)

Stranded by the no-longer-supported Safari connector, I've installed the current Firefox Quantum and the current Firefox Zotero Connector. Everything *looks* ok, but when I click the Zotero extension icon in Firefox, it changes to a red X and no files or data are captured to Zotero. Anyone have insight? Thanks!
  • edited September 27, 2019
    On what URL? What does it say when you hover over the X?
  • Here's what I'm trying to save:
    https://resources.sei.cmu.edu/asset_files/TechnicalReport/2012_005_001_28161.pdf

And the hover message says "Saving failed. Is Zotero running?" (Yes, it's running/open, and current version 5.0.74).
  • Can you save a normal webpage (i.e., not a PDF)? For example, this page?

If so, we'd want a Debug ID from Zotero for the save attempt.

If not, see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connector_zotero_unavailable (which you'll be linked to when you try on a regular webpage — we're limited in what we can show in Firefox when you try to save a PDF directly).
  • Yes, I was able to save webpages from the Zotero site. I did the Debug ID routine and here is the output: D339349624.
  • Sorry, I was unclear — I meant that, if saving a normal page works, we'd want to see a Debug ID for the PDF save attempt that fails.
  • Oh, of course, that makes more sense.
    Ok, I just went to do the Debug routine for the offending page/file and this time it worked. I get a green check and I verified that the pdf and metadata were saved. Is there perhaps some data/setting propagation that has to finish first and I just tried before it was complete earlier? I've changed nothing in the configuration. Here is the new output in case it's of use: D820358234.
    Thank you for your help!
  • Following up; I can make this same behavior repeat. I'm still narrowing the exact circumstances, but today I was trying to save a new pdf from a new page and received the red X and same message ("Saving failed. Is Zotero running?"). I went to a different, regular webpage, saved something successfully, then went back to the pdf and this this time the pdf saved. There's some dependency happening here. I don't know what it is yet. I will try to recreate it again and get a debug ID for a failed save.