Backup of data directory from external hard drive

Hello,

I have an issue with restoring a backup of a copy of my data directory. My old laptop died, so I had to salvage the hard drive. I copied the "Zotero" folder to an external hard drive. On the new computer, I did a fresh install of Zotero and then proceeded to follow the steps described here: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data ("Restoring your Zotero library from a backup").
The directory now points to the right place (C:\Users\(myname)\Zotero), the folder "storage" contains all my pdfs, everything should be good to go. Yet my files still don't show up in Zotero itself.

Does anybody have an idea what could be the issue here? :( I'm at a loss, and would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.
  • What's the size of the zotero.sqlite file in that directory?
  • It's 4,992KB. And, in case it's relevant, there's also a file named zotero.sqlite.bak and zotero.sqlite.1.bak with 908KB each.
  • Those are empty databases.

Assuming you copied rather than moved files from the backup drive, look in the backup directory and see what the size and date of the zotero.sqlite* files there are.
  • Oh! I thought I had copied everything over (the whole Zotero folder) but it seems like I accidentally chose not to replace existing files....
    The zotero.sqlite* files on the backup drive were all about 40,000KB, I copied them over and now it works :'D
    Thanks!