Lost work

I quit the application because I thought it saved automatically and I was done with work for a bit and when I reopened it, a decent amount of files were gone. Does this mean they are still syncing or did I lose them? I followed the directions on the zotero lost data troubleshooting page, and some of the zotero files on my computer have a time stamp of the minutes right before I quit (zotero.sqlite, -journal, and .bak from a few hours earlier), so does that mean they are just syncing? Or do I have to do something more to recover these files? Or are they gone?

Thank you so much for the help!
  • Zotero does auto-save and if the zotero.sqlite has a recent timestamp, that strongly suggests your edits were saved.

What sorts of files (I assume you mean items) are missing? A specific collection? Recently added items? How have you searched for them? The most likely scenario is that you're either not looking in the right place or that they were moved somewhere.
  • Yes, sorry, citation items. All from the internet, mostly like newpaper or journal articles, and yes, I added them all to Zotero today (only 1-2 hours before quitting).
  • And you added them on the same computer you're looking at now? In the software itself -- you're not looking at the web interface?

• You're almost certainly just looking in the wrong place. From the looks of it, you added a whole bunch of items today to a group library you're a member of. I'd guess that you're looking in your personal library instead of the group library where you added things.