Corrupted Zotero Logins Database

Hello everyone,

I received what I believe is a fairly standard error message:

"Zotero cannot access your login information, possibly due to a corrupted Zotero logins database. Close Zotero, remove cert8.db, key3.db, and logins.json from your Zotero profile directory, and re-enter your Zotero login information in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences."

I followed the advice on other forms, but I have been unable to fix this issue.

First I tried to find my Zotero profile directory based on the instructions from this page
https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/profile_directory

But...

My Application Support folder did not contain a Zotero folder and my Zotero folder, located under my Mac username, did not contain any folder named profiles (instead it had folders named locate, pipes, storage, styles, and translators).

So I tried to search for cert8.db, key3.db, and logins.json but could not find anything.

So I went into my data directory location and created a new custom folder to store my data directory and restarted the application but that did nothing.

So I restarted by Mac, but that did nothing.

So I deleted and reinstalled the app, but that also did nothing.

I have an iMac from late 2015 running OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.6 and I have only started using this software a few days ago before this issue came up. I also have the application working on my Mac laptop, so I don't think it is a problem with my account.

How can I fix this problem???
  • edited July 7, 2019
    My Application Support folder did not contain a Zotero folder
    If you've run Zotero on this computer, that folder definitely exists. I'd guess that you're looking in /Library/Application Support, not /Users/:username/Library/Application Support. The Zotero profile directory page includes instructions for opening the correct Library folder.
    my Zotero folder, located under my Mac username, did not contain any folder named profiles
    That's the Zotero data directory, which is something different.
    So I went into my data directory location and created a new custom folder to store my data directory and restarted the application but that did nothing.
    You should undo anything you did that's not in the instructions.