Startup error

I am running Zotero 5.0.67.3 on my Mac mini. As of today, I am unable to use Zotero. A startup error comes up when I open the application. The error text reads:

Error: Error(s) encountered during statement execution: no such table: retractedItems [QUERY: SELECT libraryID, itemID, DI.itemID IS NOT NULL AS deleted FROM items JOIN retractedItems USING (itemID) LEFT JOIN deletedItems DI USING (itemID)] [PARAMS: ] [ERROR: no such table: retractedItems]

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js

I tried deleting my Zotero cache and restarting my computer, but neither helped. The source file info seems to suggest to me a problem with Chrome -- although I have that browser on my machine, I never use it. Would removing it possibly help?

In the full debug report, there are also three warnings, but what I read said to only include the error (with the pink background) in this report. Please let me know if I should include them as well.

Any help would be much appreciated – I've been using Zotero for the last year to manage my sources for my dissertation and other grad school work.
  • If you don't mind, could you upload your database to the DB Repair Tool and post the Upload ID here? You can ignore the download links the tool provides. Something odd happened during a database upgrade for you, and it'd be helpful if we could take a look at some version info in the database. (Your library data isn't relevant and won't be looked at.)
    The source file info seems to suggest to me a problem with Chrome
    No, that's a different "chrome" — nothing to do with the browser.
  • Thank you, dstillman! I'm not sure why, but that site isn't working for me. On Firefox and Chrome, it crashes (presumably once my file is uploaded) and on Safari the red "please wait" message disappears after a few seconds and the option to upload a file reappears, without acknowledging whether my upload was successful. I'm trying to upload the zotero.sqlite.zip file (66.1MB). Is there another place I can upload it?
  • Can you upload to Dropbox or similar and send a link to support@zotero.org?
  • Absolutely. I'll include the error text and a link to this forum post in the email as well.
  • edited June 19, 2019
    Thanks. Could you install the latest Zotero beta over your current version and confirm that it fixes this for you?

After that starts up, you can switch back to the release version. The beta contains only this and a couple other minor bug fixes, so it's safe to use.
  • @jpentangelo: Actually, don't worry about the beta. You can now just upgrade to 5.0.68. Let us now if that doesn't fix the issue for you.
  • Thank you so much for your help! I just updated to 5.0.68 and that fixed it. Do you happen to know what caused the problem in the first place? In the future, I want to avoid doing whatever caused it, if possible.