Feature request: Support inserting citation in TextBox, Caption of MS Word in MS Window

edited June 16, 2019
Dear Developer, currently in MS Word, inserting citation in TextBox and Caption is not supported yet in zotero.

I have recently encountered a situation where I need to add citation on Caption of figure but realized that it is not supported.

• Inserting citation in caption works in MS Word for Mac v. 16.16.11. What is your version of MS Word?
  • edited June 16, 2019
    This in windows version office 365 proplus and zotero 5.0.66. I also tried with Windows office 2016 prof. pro with portable zotero 5.0.66. The result is same.

It says zotero fields cannot be inserted here.
  • This is unlikely to change due to technical limitations.
  • edited June 16, 2019
    Just wondering why I can insert a citation in a caption if it is not possible due to technical limitations. But yes, it doesn't work inside a TextBox.
  • edited June 16, 2019
    Poettli: I assume the caption in figure is another instance of textbox.

I tried in libreoffice, where I can insert citation in caption by zotero. Since my collaborators use office, the issue of compatibility is there. :(
  • My point is: it works in a figure caption for me, I wonder why not for you
  • Word cannot insert Fields inside other Fields or text boxes, so it it is not possible for Zotero to insert citations there (it stores citations as Fields).

For captions, this means that you cannot insert a citation inside the “Figure 1” field (the caption label and number), but you can insert a citation in the text that follows (the caption text). Some older versions of Word may balk at inserting a field directly there, but you can insert the citation elsewhere and then manually move it into place. The caption and Zotero automatically updates will still work.
  • Thanks poettli and bwiernik, I can insert citation in caption of figure in word in windows but not in textbox. :D. Now I understand the technical issue here.

Also I will like to close this thread but do not know how to do it.
  • No need to close the thread.