Incorrect Sync!?

Help!

I had Zotero on two computers, one I often used and another I didn't. My frequent-use computer broke and when I opened Zotero on the less-used computer it synced... and it appears to have updated the online database with the outdated one that was on the less-used computer (rather than updating the less-used computer's database to match what was online). I'm missing so many of my files....... How can I reset it to the updated version?

Thanks!
  • Sync doesn't work that way — Zotero will never overwrite newer data with older data unless you explicitly tell it to.

Before today, the account you're logged into hadn't synced since 2017, so either you were using a different account on the other computer or it wasn't syncing.
  • Looks like it wasn't syncing before. Now I have everything I need online, but not on my current computer... which now has no database associated with it. (The correct files are backed up without folders as an RDF and I moved the whole database so it wouldn't overwrite the correct version online when it syncs.) How do I get what is online (i.e., correct) onto my computer without it trying to do the opposite (i.e., get the blank or outdated version to overwrite the online version)?

At least now I know once this is finished to make sure sync is always turned on for my primary (now only) computer.
  • Also, thanks for your help!
  • You can just sync. As I say, Zotero won't overwrite newer data with older data.