Wrong insertion of citation numbers: Chicago full note -> alphabetic order

Hello . I downloaded the alphabetic citation style @adamsmith posted some years ago. However I am facing some problems now. I finished my paper already using Chicago manual of style (full note) citations. When i now switch to the alphabetical version, the numbering of the references (in endnotes) changes accordingly but reference numbers in the text stay the same (as before). Instead of filling in the new adapted numbers a new list is created below the bibliography in which the two numberings are translated into each other. E.g 1- 47, 2-25... Maybe there is an easy solution ? Thanks in advance !!!
  • Could you link to the style of mine you're referring to and also say what specifically you're after as an end result? Chicago Manual is completely distinct from numeric citation styles, so there may be some confusion going on here.
  • Thank you for the fast reply. I am referring to the style you created for "Cancer/Radiothérapie" on January 14, 2010

http://gist.github.com/277460

The end result of this style would be perfect. The only problem is that the numbering in the text does not change accordingly. like described the separate citations are all sorted correctly. However it creates a second list below the actual bibliography in which the original numbers of (1,2,3,4,5... after the insertion place) are translated into the new alphabetic numbering (27,47,15,...) instead of inserting them... I want to achieve that there alphabetic numbering appears straight away in the text.
  • That's ... CSL 0.8 - a very old coding pattern that will not work in the current Zotero citation processor (unless Zotero still performs XSLT magic on these early styles).
  • Aha i see. Is there a new similar citation style ?
  • These are my specific regulations:
    "References to the bibliography in the text should be presented as the first author's surname
    followed by the publication year in parentheses (Bērziņš, 1999; Bērziņš and Kalniņš, 1998;
    Bērziņš u.c., 1997; Jones et al., 1996;). Cited bibliography should be listed alphabetically, with
    order determined by the first author's surname. If the bibliography contains a number of authors
    with the same surname or a number of papers by one author, the bibliography order is as follows:
    first papers with one author, then by initials if surnames are identical, then papers with two
    authors, then papers with multiple authors.

Bibliography style. A complete bibliographic form is mandatory (all authors, title, journal,
    volume, pages, year). The journal name should be presented in abbreviated form following
    international standards (as in Medline or journals). Latvian Academy of Sciences Proceedings
    citation style is recommended: Checler, F., da Costa C.A., Ancolio, K., Chevallier, N, LopezPerez, E., Marambaud, P. (2000) Role of the proteasome in Alzheimer's disease. Biochim.
    Biophys. Acta, 1502, 133–138.
    One can also select a citation style used by a different journal, but this style should be adhered to
    in all citations. For example: D.Dullais Jr. and D.Dullais Sr. Temptation to reach the margin of
    the world is typical for inhabitants of Vidzemes Jūrmala. J. Irreprod. Results, 2000, V.1, p.1-20.
    Or: Gebhardt F, Zänker KS, Brandt B; Modulation of epidermal growth factor receptor gene
    transcription by a polymorphic dinucleotide repeat in intron1. J Biol Chem 1999; 274: 13176-
    Book citations, following the author's name and chapter title (if applicable), should contain the
    book title, edition and editor, publication city, publisher, publication year, pages, ISBN.
    For example.
    Aleksejevs Ē., Plikšs M. 1996. Latvijas retās zivis. – Latvijas ZA Vēstis, 23 (1):12-23.
    Sloka J. 1956. Latvijas PSR ezeri un to zivis. Rīga: Zinātne, 154 lpp.
    The initial pages of monographs and literature handbooks often contain instructions as to how to
    cite that specific source.
    If information from the Internet is used, one must cite the WWW page address. The author is
    Anonymous or the specific page's author.
    All literature listed in the bibliography must be used in the Diploma Thesis text. Conversely, all
    citations in the text must be in the bibliography "
  • What are the basic parameters? You want a style that uses numbers in text and is alphabetically sorted in the end? Any other requirements?
  • yes exactly. and the numbers in the text should be according the alphabetic sorting E.g the first citation in the text is number 15 since that reference is the 15th position in the alphabetic end note order. The other regulations are commented above. But the old "CANRAD" style seemed to incorporate all of them if i am not mistaken.
  • This would seem to be a pretty good fit: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:elsevier-harvard&format=author-date&dependent=0

Before you switch the style, though, go to Document Preferences and toggle from Endnotes to Footnotes and click OK. Then go to Document Preferences again and switch the style.
  • Alright. Thanks again ! I will try it
  • This doesn't have numbers in the text, though -- but the style you quote above has author date in parentheses in the text, not numbers.
  • Got it all in the right style now. Big thanks again. you really helped me a lot !