the current bibliographic style does not define a bibliography.

Report # 26300506

I'm at the end of my thesis just trying to do a biblio. I've tried the remedies in the forums - I changed to APA format, now I cannot get it out of that format. I've deleted and reinstalled, I've taken off then added again the Blue Book style in Zotero.
Please help!
  • edited April 19, 2019
    D̵̶̵o̵̶̵ ̵̶̵y̵̶̵o̵̶̵u̵̶̵ ̵̶̵m̵̶̵e̵̶̵a̵̶̵n̵̶̵ ̵̶̵w̵̶̵h̵̶̵e̵̶̵n̵̶̵ ̵̶̵y̵̶̵o̵̶̵u̵̶̵ ̵̶̵p̵̶̵u̵̶̵t̵̶̵ ̵̶̵t̵̶̵h̵̶̵e̵̶̵ ̵̶̵c̵̶̵u̵̶̵r̵̶̵s̵̶̵o̵̶̵r̵̶̵ ̵̶̵a̵̶̵t̵̶̵ ̵̶̵t̵̶̵h̵̶̵e̵̶̵ ̵̶̵e̵̶̵n̵̶̵d̵̶̵ ̵̶̵o̵̶̵f̵̶̵ ̵̶̵y̵̶̵o̵̶̵u̵̶̵r̵̶̵ ̵̶̵d̵̶̵o̵̶̵c̵̶̵u̵̶̵m̵̶̵e̵̶̵n̵̶̵t̵̶̵ ̵̶̵a̵̶̵n̵̶̵d̵̶̵ ̵̶̵c̵̶̵l̵̶̵i̵̶̵c̵̶̵k̵̶̵ ̵̶̵t̵̶̵h̵̶̵e̵̶̵ ̵̶̵"̵̶̵A̵̶̵d̵̶̵d̵̶̵/̵̶̵E̵̶̵d̵̶̵i̵̶̵t̵̶̵ ̵̶̵B̵̶̵i̵̶̵b̵̶̵l̵̶̵i̵̶̵o̵̶̵g̵̶̵r̵̶̵a̵̶̵p̵̶̵h̵̶̵y̵̶̵"̵̶̵ ̵̶̵b̵̶̵u̵̶̵t̵̶̵t̵̶̵o̵̶̵n̵̶̵,̵̶̵ ̵̶̵n̵̶̵o̵̶̵t̵̶̵h̵̶̵i̵̶̵n̵̶̵g̵̶̵ ̵̶̵h̵̶̵a̵̶̵p̵̶̵p̵̶̵e̵̶̵n̵̶̵s̵̶̵?̵̶̵ (edit: looks like normal behavior with this style)
  • @dommomite: None of the Bluebook styles in the Zotero/CSL styles repository define a bibliography.

What are the requirements for your thesis?
  • This is not good. Requirements are that I need a bibliography.
  • Using bluebook style, though? I'm not aware that the BlueBook would even define a bibliography style.
  • It does - slightly different from the citations themselves.
  • Just filmed the issue I'm having with converting back from APA. I followed instructions on these forums to change styles, then change back. APA will not change back. Looks like AMA will now.

https://www.screencast.com/t/ecOMiEgkBf
  • I'm not quite sure I understand what you need help with right now?

The bibliography in Bluebook style, I'm afraid, we simply can't help with. I'm still surprised that exists (there's no mention of it in the Bluebooks's table of contents nor am I able to find any examples online), but even if it does, it appears to be so rarely used that you're the first person to ever notice its absence.

The APA error we'd typically run you through troubleshooting steps on that particular document, but if things work with a different style, there's really no need for that.
  • OK - I've figured something out. I can go into Zotero itself and create a bibliography, it copies it to the clipboard, then I can paste into the word doc.

However...the list is numbered, and it is not in the same order as my citations. Is there a way to get this numbering into the same order as my citations or just turn off the numbering altogether?
  • Not all styles number the bibliography, and you can choose another. But this isn't going to work well. Where does the requirement to use BB with a bibliography come from? Is it a personal preference or an imposed requirement?
  • If you use create bibliography from Zotero with Bluebook (or any other style that doesn't define a bibliography), Zotero will just output citations, which for Bluebook are numbered notes. It's not actually a bibliography in any sense.