Deleted Zotero Folders on PC, but Library is still online

I accidentally deleted my zotero folders stored on my PC, but my library still is intact online. How do i "download" the files from the online library so i can use STANDALONE again?
  • You can close Zotero, move zotero.sqlite from your Zotero data directory out of the way so that you have an empty database, and then sync.
  • dstillman.. thank you. My sense from the Zotero information is that the online database will be deleted if i sync it, since there is nothing in my Standalone library. Is there any way to ensure that the online database downloads to my Standalone library on my PC, and not vice versa?
  • edited March 19, 2019
    The instructions I gave you are correct. Zotero only syncs explicit deletions, so a new local database would never overwrite the online library. It will simply pull down the data in your online library.
  • hi there... thanks again for your help. It does not seem to work. My standalone library is completely empty, and when i sync it with the online library, nothing happens.
  • Hi again, in case i was not clear. I am a complete idiot. I deleted my Zotero Directory files and cannot recover them. Its basically a disaster. so, by some miracle, i am hoping my online library can save me. thanks again, Henry
  • If you sync a new, empty library and an online library with data, it pulls down the online data, so you're doing something wrong here. There's no indication that you've synced from your current account recently.

See Changes Not Syncing for some possibilities.
  • thanks again, sir. Perhaps i did something on my laptop and fouled it up.

Question: if i set up Standalone brad new on my wife's laptop, synced my account with it, then saved the Zotero data onto a flash drive, put it on my laptop, and pointed the directory to the files, do you think that would work?
  • There's no need to do this on a different computer. All that's required here is to sync from the computer where you have an empty library using the correct account details.

Review the steps on the linked page, which include instructions for providing more info if you're still having trouble.