Ways to Avoid Overloading Hard Drive

My laptop's hard drive is overloaded with the stored PDFs and notes from Zotero. Zotero is immensely helpful for keeping my annotated PDFs and notes in one place, but my computer is struggling to function.

I see lots of discussion on how to keep copies on cloud storage. But are there ways to have the original copies stored on cloud storage and still retain functionality while freeing up hard drive space? Any tips that will save me an expensive computer storage upgrade would be greatly appreciated!!
  • What exactly do you mean by "overloaded" and "struggling to function"? What's the size of your Zotero data directory?
  • I think they just mean their hard drive is full/almost full, no? With SSDs as small at 128GB, a completely standard 10-20GB Zotero library can easily be the single biggest factor beyond the OS in filling it up.

It's a bit tricky to just rely on cloud storage, but if you are confident that all your files are synced to the server (you'll want to double-check this by accessing some through the website version of the library to be safe) you can do the following.

1. Set file sync to "as needed" in the Zotero preferences
    2. Delete all folders in the "storage" folder in your Zotero data directory (https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data )

With this, you're removing all locally stored attachments and Zotero will automatically download them from the server as you try to open them. It will store files downloaded this way locally, but still, this should reduce the local size of Zotero attachments.

I think dstillman had mentioned in the past that they have plans to simplify this.