Very slow response of Zotero Word Plugin

Hi there,

my Zotero plugin in Word has all of a sudden slowed down immensely. It takes roughly 30 seconds for Zotero to open the plugin in Word. I'm working on a large document ~60,000 words, but it worked fine until yesterday. Now Zotero decided to be really slow when entering references etc. Zotero Standalone still works fine.

Any help or ideas to speed things up?

Thanks a lot for any help!
  • How many citations do you have in this document? Have you changed citation styles recently? Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero?

1. In the Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    2. Perform the operation that's being slow.
    3. Before doing anything else, return to Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.
  • Thanks a lot for your help. This is the Debug ID: D2027637013
  • That indeed is quite slow. How much did it used to take for the citation dialog to show up before this change? Is it still fast in a new document? Have you tried restarting your computer?
  • I just restarted it and now it works perfectly fine again.

Is there a limit of how many citations are too many for Zotero to handle? Is it better to keep shorter separate documents and merge them together at the end?
  • It should be fine on Windows until you hit about 500 citations in a document.
This discussion has been closed.