MS Word 16.16.5 "Not Installed" Error Message

Hi all —

Zotero appears to be unable to recognize my MS Word; when I try to install the Microsoft Word Add-In through the Zotero desktop app, it comes back with the following error message:

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "Word does not appear to be installed on this computer. Please install Microsoft Word, then try again. @[install:install.m:183]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 211" data: no]

When I first installed Zotero, I had MS Word 2011 installed, then installed a separate MS Word 16.16.5, and only recently realized MSW 2011 was still installed, at which point I deleted it. Could this be the source of my issue? How should I go about getting Zotero to recognize Word? Neither is communicating with the other, and I am more or less at a loss as to how to proceed.
  • edited January 10, 2019
    What version of Zotero is this? From that error, it looks like you may have an outdated version, so you should reinstall it from the download page (and, depending on what version you had, figure out why it wasn't being upgraded properly).