Web version PDF import

Hi,

I'm exploring the possibility of using only the web-version of zotero (working in Citrix environment; our ICT department doesn't allow to install the local standalone version). The purpose would be building and sharing a library with colleagues.

Is there a way to easily create a new library item by importing a PDF and extracting metadata etc with the web-version? Instead of filing everything manually?

We have access to Internet Explorer and I've tried the bookmarklet, but can't get it to work without a standalone zotero.

Thanks!
  • If you only have web-based access, Zotero may not be the best option for you at this time. For any substantial work, Zotero is really meant to be used locally, with the web library providing occasional remote access to your library.

Major improvements to the web library are underway — including PDF metadata retrieval — but those are still a little ways off. Once those are in place, the web library should be a lot more usable, though a lot of advanced functionality will still remain exclusive to the desktop version for the foreseeable future.

If you want to try to make it work, both the Zotero Connector (for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari) and the bookmarklet do allow you to save to the online library (though not directly to groups at this time). The bookmarklet should certainly work with Edge. I'm not sure if it still works with IE 11.
  • Thanks for your answer!

Do you know when these major improvements are planned for release, approximately?