PubMed - not saving ref, only webpage snapshot

With Chrome extension on Windows7, the connector icon is a page (not a Z). Searching PubMed I find a reference. When I hover over Zotero icon, I get "Save to Zotero (Web Page with snapshot)". If I click on it, it saves a webpage snapshot to my Zoetero, which is useless, I need the entire citation. Worked fine the other day.

Any thoughts?
  • We'd need an example URL that's not working. A Debug ID from the connector for loading the page and getting the webpage icon would also be helpful.

(Note that it's not supposed to be a Z. It should be, e.g., a journal article icon, though.)
  • Today, I get the same icon for Webpage snapshot, but then it quickly changes to a page icon. Clicking on that icon uploads the references correctly into Zotero.

So, issue resolved itself. Seems like the Webpage snapshot may always come up first (?). The problem before was that it got stuck. Now it quickly changes to the correct one.

thanks

• Ugh, its back! If I go to any PubMed link (e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=H.+Salem+and+T.+R.+C.+Davis++Six+year+outcome+excision) The only icon that shows for Zotero says: "Save to Zotero (WEB PAGE WITH SNAPSHOT) Has access to this site". On my PC, Windows 7

On my Mac, same link, no problem, get correct connect info: "Save to Zotero (PubMed) Has access to this site".

• Have you tried
    a) simply reloading
    b) disabling other Chrome extensions
    c) restarting Chrome ?
  • yes to all three, did not seem to help. I Reset Translators, working again. No idea why, bu keeping fingers crossed, which I know what was going on.

thanks
  • Is there anything unusual about your set-up? E.g. do you have your data directory on a syncing folder (Dropbox, Drive) or a network drive?

You really shouldn't need to reset translators regularly.
  • My data directory is on my local drive.

I suspect it may have to do with our institutions firewall. But without a detailed understanding of the issue for them, its tough to get them to respond.
  • I got the problem and generated Report ID 1117436779 from Chrome connector. Firefox's connector works well for me so I am using Firefox as a workaround for now. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome Connector this evening to no avail.

The Zotero page icon to the right of Chrome's address bar now has a light blue bar at its bottom instead of lines representing lines of text throughout the small vertical span of the icon. When I save to Zotero Standalone 5.0.58 from Chrome, the Item Type is Web Page not the preferred Journal Article. The Authors are missing and I suspect so are many other items I need for listing it in my bibliography.

I was trying to save from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/409678 . From PubMed, I can bring up an Acrobat .pdf scanned image of the article at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC421168/pdf/iai00213-0117.pdf . I can save that as a .pdf into Zotero Standalone as a .pdf, and then the authors' names get saved mostly correctly although a dagger punctuation mark trailing the first author's name got translated into a lower-case "t" following the all-upper case name.
    I guess that misreading of the punctuation mark happened when the the old document was scanned by PubMed. It is impressive that Zotero can save web pages and .pdf's now, but I don't want to have to do so, and want instead to be able to record the Journal Article info so I can cite it correctly in my bibliography.

Chrome Connector gives me two choices when I right-click: Save Web Page with and without Snapshot. After I get the info I need off my open web pages, I plan to Restart Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) and even reboot my Win 10 computer, then report whether those steps fixed the problem.
  • Definitely restart Chrome (you could also try just reloading the webpages -- note that you can also restart Chrome and restore the last sessions).
    If that doesn't work:
    1. Disable all other Chrome extensions (for testing) then restart Chrome and
    2. Try again, see if that works. If it doesn't, could we get a debug output ID from the Chrome connector: https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_firefox_chrome_and_safari for reloading the pubmed page?
  • I rebooted my Win 10 computer. Some of the PubMed pages in question reloaded themselves as I re-logged into my local computer account. Upon restarting itself, Chrome had a Zotero icon with faint horizontal lines indicative of text. When I right-clicked on the icon, "Save to Zotero (PubMed)" was a choice in a submenu; it had not been before. I selected that PubMed save-action. Afterwards, "Item Type" "Journal Article" appeared in the Info tab of the new, corresponding library record. The author names and other info seem correct. So restarting Chrome or rebooting the computer fixed the problem for now.

I will let you know if the problem recurs and attempt to get a Debug ID from logging while reloading the page.

I looked at my Chrome extensions. I have 3 Chrome Apps, Google Docs, and Acrobat. That's all.

Thanks!
  • I seem to have this problem. I have just discovered many of items have downloaded as web pages rather than journal articles. Is there an automated method to fix this? I am using the connector in a variety of browsers to 'save to zotero'. I notice if I hover over the 'save to zotero' button it initially indicates it will save as a webpage but if I leave it 15 seconds or so it will provide the article format. Is this a problem caused by slow page loading or some other connection issue?
  • @jdwoods: Yes, the page needs to load completely before Zotero can determine what to save, so if the page is slow to load — or, more commonly, some image, font, or ad on the page is slow to load — there can be a delay. Hitting Escape to cancel loading in your browser, or just hitting Refresh to try again, usually does the trick.

15 seconds would be extreme, though, so if you're seeing that on a lot of sites, something may be wrong with your setup more generally.
  • Turning off Colorzilla, React Developer Tools, Redux DevTools, and Google Tone fixed this for me on pubmed. Privacy badger and adblock not to blame.
  • Had the same problem earlier but managed to find a way around it. What I did:
    - Zotero extension > right-click > Manage extensions > Allow in incognito: ON
    - Open the PubMed page in an incognito window
    - Zotero extension > left click
    - The Zotero extension saved the journal article in my library as I would like it to be (Item Type: Journal Article with the appropriate metadata)

I suspect the Zotero extension conflicts with one of my extensions (I have 15 extensions...) Not sure which one though. I have the following extensions:
    - stayfocusd
    - Google Calendar
    - Honey
    - Turn Off the Lights
    - Eigenfactorizer
    - Boomerang
    - LastPass
    - Zotero extension
    - LearnFaster
    - LINE
    - Readlang Web Reader
    - Google Translate
    - Adblock Plus
    - Britannica Insights
    - Nectar

Does anyone know which extension(s) is potentially the culprit? Just so I can remove it/them.

Thanks!
  • The culprit for me was the plugin: OneClick Translate