citation styles disappeared from Style Manager

For some reason, all my citation styles have disappeared from Style Manager. There are no bibliographic styles to choose from. I get an error message when I try to generate a citation or bibliographic entry. Any idea what might have gone wrong and/or what I might do to make it right? Clicking on the bibliographic style in the Zotero Style Repository doesn't work. I've even reinstalled Zotero without it fixing the issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Try resetting styles from the Advanced tab of the Zotero preferences. That should fix this.
  • (Also make sure you don't have your Zotero data directory in a cloud storage folder like Dropbox. That's a common cause of this sort of problem. You should also check your database integrity from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences.)
  • I'm not using cloud storage (my Zotero database is over 6gb in size). I do keep it on an external hard drive. Just in case, I'm going to try moving the database to the hard drive of the computer. I tried resetting the database, then resetting the styles. So far no luck. I'm going to try doing both those things again after I move the database as see if I can get them to resolve the issue. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • No luck. None of that worked :(
    The "styles" folder in my Zotero folder is empty. I copied the files from the "styles" folder created when Zotero loads without a data directory specified, to the "styles" folder in the folder with my database, but they disappear again.
    I don't know what else to try or why Zotero is suddenly deleting the "styles" files.
    I don't know what I'll do without Zotero!
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • When I "Restart with Logging Enabled" and select "report the error" this is what I get:

Report ID: 606752461

[JavaScript Error: "Error(s) encountered during statement execution: database disk image is malformed [QUERY: SELECT rowid, fileName, metadataJSON, lastModifiedTime FROM translatorCache] [PARAMS: ] [ERROR: database disk image is malformed]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js" line: 668}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error(s) encountered during statement execution: database disk image is malformed [QUERY: SELECT rowid, fileName, metadataJSON, lastModifiedTime FROM translatorCache] [PARAMS: ] [ERROR: database disk image is malformed]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js" line: 668}]

version => 5.0.56, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.56, extensions => RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero (2.0.35, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.56, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.8.SA.5.0.56, extension), Shockwave Flash (31.0.0.122, plugin)
  • Your database is corrupted. This could have happened if you unmounted the external drive while Zotero was open.

You can try the DB Repair Tool.
  • my Zotero database is over 6gb in size
    (Do you actually mean this, or do you just mean that the data directory is 6 GB?)
  • my data directory is 6GB

what do I do when having Zotero "check database integrity" hasn't solved the problem?
    can I switch my database folder for an earlier backup?

also, I submitted this report id: 1005225112 when I opened Zotero again just now

• sorry, I missed this:

"You can try the DB Repair Tool. "

I'll try that!
  • I compressed the zotero.sqlite file, uploaded it, downloaded the generated one, unzipped it and ran Zotero again. I got the message "unable to load styles". So I closed Zotero and noticed that the "styles" folder was empty. I found a backup of my Zotero data, copied the "styles" from it into my active Zotero data folder and opened Zotero again. Still no luck. I made the following report:

Report ID: 1707281019

these are the error messages generated:

version => 5.0.56, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.56, extensions => RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero (2.0.35, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.56, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.8.SA.5.0.56, extension), Shockwave Flash (31.0.0.122, plugin)
  • If you're still seeing "database disk image is malformed", you likely didn't replace the file correctly. The version that comes back from the repair tool wouldn't be corrupted.

You can do "Check Database Integrity" from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences to confirm that the file isn't corrupted.