right click in Chrome doesn't 'Save to Zotero'

edited August 24, 2018
I have the option in the right-click menu to 'Save to Zotero'; however, nothing happens. I use this feature when the URL provided opens a PDF but I want to save the information directly to Zotero (as the right-click menu would imply I can do).

I'm using Chrome, Windows 10

This feature has never worked for me....it's cumbersome to save the file, than go to Zotero and input the information ...

I just discovered I if I click on the URL listed under the hyperlink and then the right-click menu works but it saves the google search results instead of the one PDF URL I'm trying to save.
  • I have the same problem, but it works with Firefox. Would love to have it work in chrome.
  • Why don't you use the Zotero extension button? Could you submit a Report ID from Chrome?
  • edited October 20, 2018
    I can't submit a Report ID as that feature only works from Zotero program. I will try Firefox but would prefer Chrome to work...

OK -- so here is the problem, neither browser works as expected w/ internet searches. If you right-click on the text below the URL links in the search, it only saves the search result, not the associated PDF (or website). So I have to manually create Zotero entries for those searches with a PDF as a result.
  • Please read the instructions adomasven links to carefully. It says how to provide a Report ID from the Chrome connector.
  • 1. the problem isn't with the connector, the problem is with the right-click zotero menu (unless the right-click menu is associated w/ the connector??)
    2. the instructions need to be updated as there is NOT an options button (or link)
    3. after going into the connector options, advanced, I was able to submit a bug report and finally get a debug ID D1552680045
  • edited October 20, 2018
    Yes, the options in the browser pane right-click menu are part of the Connector.

It's not currently possible to save a link via the right-click menu. This worked in the earlier Zotero for Firefox, but there are some technical limitations that make it trickier in the Zotero Connector. We're planning to restore the functionality as best as we can, though.

In the meantime, if you're just trying to save a webpage, you can obviously just click through to it and use the Save to Zotero button. The same applies if you view PDFs in the browser, which is the default in all browsers (which is why this isn't a higher priority). In that case you can just click through to the PDF and click Save to Zotero to save the PDF to Zotero, which will then attempt to retrieve metadata for for the PDF.

If what you're saying is that you have PDFs configured to open in an external program, then for now you'll need to save the file to disk and drag it into Zotero. (Dragging the PDF link to Zotero is another option, but that currently doesn't work in Chrome and Google's intermediate tracking page interferes with it in Firefox, though we should be able to fix both.)
    the instructions need to be updated as there is NOT an options button (or link)
    Chrome recently updated its extensions pane. I've updated the instructions.