Browser Plugin Behavior with Metadata Reloads

Salutations! I'm a developer with the MacEwan University library. I've been working to implement embedded metadata for our library records with the primary goal of supporting Zotero. The process has been straightforward and generally successful, but I and my colleagues are noticing consistent odd behavior in Zotero plugin across multiple browsers and platforms.

Our library search is AJAX driven. Thus, whenever a record is opened in a modal popup, part of the display process is to overwrite the metadata in the HTML head (we're using Highwire for simplicity). Once the metadata has been overwritten for the current record, the 'ZoteroItemUpdated' event is fired. This appears to work perfectly, with the Zotero icon changing if the item type changed (eg, book to article) and when you left-click on the Zotero icon, it saves the current record.

However, after saving one or two records on the same page like this, left-click no longer pulls up the current metadata. Instead it displays the last item that was saved, with no new entries added to my Zotero library. Most browsers seem to only save one item with left-click, while Firefox on Windows seems to do two before getting stuck.

While left-click gets stuck, if you right click and select "Save to Zotero" -> "Save to Zotero (Embedded Metadata)", it always works, getting the currently open item no matter how many you've looked at on the page.

I would expect that left-clicking would always work like the menu option if Zotero detects metadata. Is this a bug in the current Zotero browser plugins? is it expected behavior? Or is there something else I need to do on my end to force Zotero to recognize the new metadata?

Example URL: https://library.macewan.ca/library-search?query=fish