Problem with Word plugin: Undoing changes in citations against my will

Hello everyone,

Since I installed Zotero 5.0, I've had a problem with the Microsoft Word plugin. Whenever I want to cite an item for the second time, Zotero asks me whether I want to keep my changes in the first citation of the item (since I work with many languages, I often have to change details in the way things are cited). If I then click "Yes", it changes the first citation back to what it was anyway. If I click "No", same thing. Very annoying.

Does anyone have an idea what I ought to do?

Thank you in advance, Fabian
  • You should not edit citations directly in the Word document, but instead use the Zotero page number, prefix, suffix, and Suppress Author fields:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#customizing_cites
  • True, but this should still work as advertised.

What citation style is this and which exact versions of Word and Zotero?
  • Thank you for your answers!

I know that I should ideally use the Zotero fields, but when the works cited are in many different languages, I always find myself needing to correct various details.

I am using Word for Mac 15.27, Zotero 5.0.47, Chicago Manual of Style (17th ed.) Full Note. The citation style language setting is Afrikaans, which I have found to be least intrusive.

This was not a problem when I was using Zotero 4.
  • Could you expand on this?
    I know that I should ideally use the Zotero fields, but when the works cited are in many different languages, I always find myself needing to correct various details.
    I'm not quite sure I understand why using sources in many languages requires changing citation details.

As for your issues, start by updating Word. You're using a version of Word 2016 from October 2016 with numerous known issues related to reference manager integration.
  • To name one of the central problems: If the language setting is English, the citation style capitalises all nouns, which is simply wrong for most other languages. If I change it to, say, French or German, it uses punctuation marks that are incorrect in English.
  • Oh, thank you very much for that. I had been looking for something like it unsuccessfully.