multiple citations from same author & same year

Dear Zotero-experts

I have one author who wrote two papers in the same year. I use a slightly modified APA style, multiple citations are handled using the "disambiguate-add-year-suffix".
Unfortunately the resulting citations are in the wrong order, i.e. Doe 2006a is displayed as Doe 2006b. I am pretty sure that the entries in my bibliography are correct, so I dont know what do....
Which part of the CSL-code deals with the order of multiple references?
Here is my code: http://gist.github.com/117674

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Best,
Durden
  • What is in the wrong order? The in-text citations or the entries in the bibliography? It's my understanding that the suffix order (generally) follows the order in the bibliography. See for instance APA: http://www.lib.monash.edu.au/tutorials/citing/apa.html

"If there is more than one reference by an author in the same year, suffixes (a, b, c, etc.) are added to the year.
    Allocation of the suffixes is determined by the order of the references in the reference list."
  • If you're wanting the citations to be sorted into a-z sequence order by Zotero, this is part of the problem: <key variable="year-date"/> There is no such variable, so this will have no effect. Try adding a macro that generates the year with the year-suffix, and setting that as the secondary key with macro= instead of variable=.
  • edited May 26, 2009
    Try adding a macro that generates the year with the year-suffix
    Disambiguation is set by options, so all that is needed is to point towards the existing macro that outputs the year of issue (in this case "issued-year"). But this would only help in the case multiple citations appear in a single citation cluster, e.g. it would force the sort to (Doe 2005a, Doe 2005b) instead of (Doe 2005b, Doe 2005a). It wouldn't prevent 2005b to appear first in the body of the text, if that source is (separately) cited before 2005a.
  • First of all, thanks for your help!
    My problem is the ordering of the in-text citations.
    The order of the references in the reference list is correct, but the order in.text is different....
    I would like to implement the sorting-option using a macro, unfortunately I do not know how to do this... Is there any example for this?

Thanks!
    Durden
  • edited May 26, 2009
    See http://gist.github.com/117951

Changing
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="year-date"/>
    </sort>
    into
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key macro="issued-year"/>
    </sort>
    should do the trick.
  • Perfect!
    Thanks very much for your help!
  • I have this exact same problem, but I am using the American Geophysical Union (AGU) format. My first citation in the paper crops up as Doe 2010b, with 2010a appearing later.

I have also never tinkered with the .csl files before. Any help?
  • The year-suffix ("a", "b" etc) is assigned in bibliography order. The American Geophysical Union style uses sorting and disambiguation methods that can reverse the sequence in the bibliography (in which case "Doe 2010b" "Doe 2010a" in the citations would be correct).

So the first thing to do would be to check the bibliography and see if the items appear in the correct sequence there. If so, it's correct for the style, and if our settings in the style are correct, your editor should not have a problem with it.