Storing PDF files in Cloud folder (Google Drive)

Hi,

I've been looking through a dozen or so threads at this point and haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for. I only use Zotero on one computer, I would, however, like to store my pdfs in google drive, because I read and annotate them on both my ipad and computer. I've installed zotfile but it simply doesn't do this. I currently have two collections in zotero, in one of them, when i save a new source it will be put the pdf in the gdrive folder, if I have the other collection selected, it will not.

I'm trying to avoid using the "send to tablet" feature because I am often traveling without my computer and won't have access to initiate the send process. It would be a much better workflow if I could just have a cloud folder of pdfs that links to zotero.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
  • Hi, I have somehow the same issue. But another thing that I'm trying to mention is that Zotfile does not move the attached files to the newly selected folder path. I mean during the attaching PDF files, isn't it the case that it should be moved automatically to the desired folder?
  • @nanaken @alireza.akhavan

Zotfile will automatically move and rename files if you have a Custom Location set in the Zotfile General Settings and have "Use Zotero to rename" unchecked in the Zotfile Renaming Rules settings.

This is exactly the recommended approach if you want to use Google Drive or similar services to sync files in My Library. What Zotfile settings do you have, and what exactly happens when you add a new PDF?
  • @bwiernik Thank you for your suggestion. I have the same settings that you have suggested. When I add a new pdf Zotero just creates a new subdirectory for it within its library.

I have discovered though that while I'm in Zotero and right click on the pdf file, select "manage attachments" and click on "rename attachments" it will send the pdf file to the desired folder I set up via Zotfile in gdrive. So it does require one extra step than what it sounds like the intended method is, but simple enough.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!
  • It should move automatically, without having to manually use Manage Attachments.

Can you submit a Error Report ID (from the Help menu) after trying to import where the PDF doesn’t move automatically?
  • (ZotFile isn't aware of the new auto-retrieve metadata option so doesn't move files attached that way. Files manually attached or added by translators should be moved though)
  • Great, thank you for the updates. I'm using this for my graduate school courses, am i able to set each course as a collection and then use zotfile to set up different folders in my gdrive that the pdf files will sync too, or will all of my pdf need to sync to the same folder, regardless of which collection it is in?
  • No, you can set Zotfile to create sub folders based on collections in Zotero.