Database importation failed

Hello,
I installed the last version of zotero (5.0.24), then I indicate in preference menu the folder where is stored the old databased, and zotero create a new databased whithout taking into account old database...
Could you help me ?
Thanks in advance
Guillaume
  • The latest version of Zotero is 5.0.40.

It can't create a new database if you really point it to your existing one, so either you pointed it to the wrong place (e.g., a parent or child directory) or the directory where you pointed it had an empty database. How big is the zotero.sqlite file in the old data directory?
  • The zotero.sqlite file is 4992Ko . I point to the zotero folder containing the zotero.sqlite file + some other folders.
    I wonder if the profile ID have to be reenter somewhere... ?
    I found a profile ID folder in :
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles
  • So if you go to the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences and click Show Data Directory, you see a 5 MB zotero.sqlite?

What do you see in the middle pane of Zotero?
  • yes I see this file in the Data directory...
    And I have only two files in the middle pane :
    => Guide rapide pour débuter
    => Zotero | Start
  • edited March 28, 2018
    What's the Date Added value of the Quick Start Guide? That would be a 4.0 database, and the Date Added would be the date that it was first created.

Do you have a 'storage' folder in the data directory, and do you see folders within it with files you've added to Zotero?
  • edited March 28, 2018
    Basically, if you're saying that you just upgraded from Zotero 4.0 to 5.0, see Data Missing After 5.0 Upgrade (and also make sure you're running Zotero 5.0.40, not 5.0.24).
  • The date of the Quick start Guide is 05/08/2015 ...
    I have a storage folder with about 170 sub-folders with my PDF.

I update to the last Zotero 5.0.41 today... but the problem is the same
    I am checking the procedure with gave me.
    Thanks
  • So that database was created in 2015.

Are there other zotero.sqlite.* files in the data directory? If so, what are their filenames, timestamps, and sizes?
  • Also, what do you see in the left-hand pane?
  • There is also
    zotero.sqlite 4992Ko 28/03/2018
    zotero.sqlite-journal 417Ko 28/03/2018
    zotero.sqlite.bak 4992Ko 28/03/2018
    zotero.sqlite.1.bak 1072Ko 22/11/2017

I did a saving of the database and date of file change , so there is a detection => but no content appear...

Left-hand pane
    => ma bibliotheque => 2 docs
    ==>Mes publication => empty
    ==>Doublons => empty
    ==>Non classés => 2 Docs
    ==> Corbeille => empty
  • Can you upload the database to the DB Repair Tool and post the Upload ID here?

Where did this data directory come from? Did you make manual changes to this directory (moving files around, etc.)? Did you look for others, as suggested in the page I linked to?

You're really saying that there's a 'storage' directory in this same directory and it has many subdirectories in it? Are the timestamps of the subdirectories all from the same time, or do they cover the range of dates you used Zotero? If the latter, do they start in 2015?

Are these files in a cloud storage directory like Dropbox or in a normal location on your disk drive?

This would appear to be an empty database created in Zotero 4.0 in 2015, but you also seem to be missing the zotero.sqlite.77.bak (or similar) file that would be created by Zotero 5.0 when you open a 4.0 database.
  • Here is the Upload ID :5ac8d5c7682fb
    I didn't change the data from the directory ...
    The storage directory has many sub directories with files with different timestamps , I didn't check all of them but I only see timestamps from 2016.
    These files are on the hard drive and not synchronized on a cloud.
  • OK, so that database indeed has only a few items in it — one from 2015, one from 2017, and one from 2018. So while I can't tell you how it ended up in its current location, this isn't the database that would've been used with the 'storage' directory you have containing many subdirectories. So you'll need to search your computer for other zotero.sqlite files — possibly in 'zotero' subdirectories in the Zotero profile directory or Firefox profile directory, or possibly elsewhere — that contain the references for the subdirectories you have in 'storage'.