"Zotero experienced an error updating your document... citation is undefined"

Hi there

Today, I started having a number of problems with Juris M (Zotero).

The main problem is that when I try to insert a citation in Word (using the plugin), I receive the following error message: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document... citation is undefined". In other words, Juris M is basically unuseable to me now.

Only hours before this problem started, I had another. I was adding an item (a "Case") to my library, in the standalone (NB: I use the "Court" field as a workaround, because I often have to cite French cases, and the "Court" field leaves the citation unformatted, e.g. unitalicised, in line with general French citation practice). As I was typing in the "Court" field, the text changed colour, from black to red. It has continued to change colour in this way. It never did before.

I have reinstalled (the latest version of) Juris M several times. Strangely, it has been reinstalling with the (grey and red) Zotero icon, whereas before, it was installed with the (green) Juris M icon. Obviously, this problem is not a problem as such, but I am mentioning it because it could (possibly) be connected to the main problem.

Has anyone else had any of these problems and resolved them?

Thank you.
  • @cwhi047 Thanks for reporting. I have one question, followed by two alternative sets of instructions, depending on the answer.

Do you get the "citation is undefined" error in a new document?

If the answer is no, then follow the steps described in Debugging Broken Documents to find the broken citation in your document.

If the answer is yes, then if you submit a Juris-M Debug ID, I can take a look. The steps for that are:

1. Visit Preferences -> Debug Output Logging and click Enable; then
    2. Perform the operation that triggers the error ("... citation is undefined"); then
    3. Revisit Preferences -> Debug Output Logging, and click View Output
    4. Click Submit, and post the Debug ID back here.

Concerning the symptoms you are seeing, the "citation undefined" error is serious, obviously, but the change in text color in the Court field is expected behavior. It shows that the field value is not a known court, and so is not represented by a standard identifier in the item data. If you are entering entire citations into that one field, it will always show in red when editing, and yellow when saved.

We can design a citation style specifically for French cases, that formats things correctly. Let's discuss that after we get past the error in your word processor.

• @cwhi047 There was a bug in the Juris-M v5.0.39m15 release. If you install again from the Juris-M website the error should no longer appear.
  • Thank you for coming back to me so quickly.

As it happens, it is from the Juris-M website that I had installed and reinstalled Juris-M.

I still received the error message after trying to cite in a new document, so I followed your steps 1 to 3. However, I could not follow step 4. When I clicked on "Submit", I received the following error message, to the right of the "Clear" button: "Error submitting output".

Would it be possible for me to copy and paste the output and email it to you? If so, what is your address?

Thank you again.
  • To confirm, have you installed the m17 version?
  • Sorry, but what is the m17 version, and how I do know whether I have installed it? I have not been able to find any references to it online.

However, if (in the standalone) I go to Help > About Juris-M, I see "5.0.39m15". Therefore, I assume that I have not installed the m17 version.
  • The m17 release is in the same place, https://juris-m.github.io/downloads Just reinstall from there.
  • I installed the m17 release, and so far, so good. Thank you very much!

For your information, here is the format for citing French cases (and a fictitious example) (i.e. the format required by the Canadian Guide to Uniform Legal Citation, E.7.5.2., except that I have revised it so that it takes account of the fact that there are both court- and reporter-assigned case numbers):

Format:
    [COURT, INCLUDING CHAMBER, IF ANY], [DATE], [STYLE OF CAUSE, OPTIONAL; ITALICISED], No [COURT-ASSIGNED CASE NUMBER], [OFFICIAL PUBLICATION, IF AVAILABLE: ([YEAR OF PUBLICATION]) [REPORTER] [PINPOINT, IF ANY], No [REPORTER-ASSIGNED CASE NUMBER, IF ANY]], [UNOFFICIAL PUBLICATION(S), IF ANY: ([YEAR OF PUBLICATION]) [VOLUME, IF AVAILABLE]:[ISSUE, IF AVAILABLE] [REPORTER] [PINPOINT, IF AVAILABLE], No [REPORTER-ASSIGNED CASE NUMBER, IF AVAILABLE] (Annotation [ANNOTATOR'S FIRST AND LAST NAME]].

Example:
    Cass civ 2ème, 1 April 2019, Martin SA, No 19-12345, (2019) Bull civ II 33, No 44, (2019) 1:2 RGDA 34, No 5 (Annotation Lucas Bernard).
    - where "Martin SA" is italicised (impossible to do in this discussion).

Thank you again!