ZotFile Issues

Hi all,

I am trying to use a large collection of PDFs with Zotero, the files are locally stored within an extensive subfolder tree.

Testcase: I'm adding an article (PDF file) to Zotero using "Link to file", the metadata is retrieved and the item is added to my collection, with a link to the PDF file in my original storage folder.

I had a look on what ZotFile could do for me but stumbled upon 2 issues:

1. I've been trying to rename the above PDF using ZotFile _without_ having the file moved to another place. Is there a way to have ZotFile rename a linked attachment without moving or copying it to some place?

2. When trying to extract PDF annotations (text highlighted using Okular) ZotFile will show me that small message box with a red "X" which seems to indicate something failed and no note will be added to the item. What could be the reason for the failed extraction?

Cheers,
r.
  • Ok, I'm rectracting issue 2: This was due to Okular not saving annotations directly to the PDF, but to a XML file located elsewhere. This way, the annotations won't be visible in other PDF viewers either.

The trick is not to just "save" the PDF after adding annotations, but to "save as..." under the same name.

Did the trick for me, ZotFile will extract the annotations fine.