Cited items not loaded in Word

Hello,

I'm experiencing one problem since the last update: whenever I want to add a citation of an already cited work in Word, Zotero does not recognize that document as already cited, and makes a new citation each time.

Hope anyone can help. Many thanks.
  • Which citation style? And could you say how this manifests, i.e. how do you tell that Zotero does not recognize the document as already cited?
  • I use OSCOLA citation style. As for the recognition there are two manifestations:

First, as for the already cited items, let's say I have two footnotes:

1. Name, Work (Publisher 2000) 1.
    2. Ibid.

When updated, it would be look like this:

1. Name, Work (Publisher 2000) 1.
    2. Name, Work (Publisher 2000) 1.

Second, as for the newly inserted citations, when I click 'Add Citation' and type the name of an already cited document, the previously existing 'Cited' section does not appear, and I can find the document only in the 'MyLibrary' section.
  • Solved! I just discovered that recognition of previously cited works is dependent on the Auto Update.

However, this is a significant problem for me. Zotero's auto formatting of citation styles is useful but not perfect. In my field, literally every footnote requires to be 'fixed' or something to be added after generating it with Zotero.

Now it turns out that each and every time I fix format my footnotes exactly as I want them this will be ruined by Zotero because of the Auto Update.

Is there an option to disconnect the Auto Update and recognition of previously cited works?
  • There's some misunderstanding here:
    With "Automatically update citations" checked, Zotero will behave exactly as it has before.

(That said, manually editing footnotes will break any further updates, so you should try to avoid that as much as possible. You can, e.g. add things to footnotes using the prefix and suffix fields; that, too, has always been the case)
  • Many thanks.