Automatic login to access private library

Hello,

I have a private Zotero group library consisting of a number of PDFs that I would like my group members to be able to access. I would like to include this library in our organization's password protected site in some way, either with an iframe page, or just a simple link that would take them to this group library.

However there's no way I can expect these people to keep track of BOTH a login/password for our site, AND a login/password with Zotero. Doing this will simply fail.

So I'd like some way of being able to directly access this private group library from our website, through some sort of embedding, URL-based authentication, or really anything that will work.

As I say, the website is already password-protected, so the privacy of the group is insured even though users wouldn't have to directly log in to Zotero.

I can't find any info on how to do this anywhere. Can someone PLEASE help with a suggestion.

Thanks in advance.
  • Zotero is designed so that group membership is a requirement for accessing any files , and what you're asking is essentially how to get around that -- by not making group membership and authentication a requirement for file access.

Because you're essentially circumventing intended design, there's certainly nothing that's super easy to implement or comes out of the box. (To be clear, this isn't a judgment on what you're trying to do; I understand that in effect you're only granting access to a select group of users, but from a code perspective that doesn't matter since whatever solution serves you could also serves to make group files available to the world).

It _is_ possible to generate links to files that include read-only API keys that would allow you to do that, but you'd have to code that more or less from scratch.

There's one group that I'm aware of that is doing something like what you want in a very sophisticated way, the CRRJ in Berkeley. I don't know exactly how they set this up, but it looks like they're making behind-the-scenes PHP calls to retrieve the file from the Zotero and serve it to you. See e.g https://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-programs/centers/crrj/zotero/detail_page.php?entity_key=UGH3HIGZ
    I'm going to guess this is overkill for you.