Zotero beta error: id must be a positive integer

edited January 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have this problem (screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/LwDJdlL.png) after upgrading to the latest Zotero beta 5.0.35-beta.1+e3dee4dee on Microsoft Word 365 ProPlus ver 1705 (build 8201.2213) / Windows 10 64-bit, core i5, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. Before that, I encountered constant Word crashing when trying to insert citation on a 60 pages w/ 100+ citations. I had followed the guide in this thread (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/67158/error-report-id-1139674803-word-crash-when-adding-new-ref/p2).

What should I do then? Any suggestion is appreciated!

Thanks!
  • A Debug ID from Zotero for an operation that triggers this would likely be helpful:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_508_and_later
  • I’m getting the same error with the current beta.

For editing a citation:
    D1479051146

For adding a new citation:
    D172830663

This appears to only be an issue with documents created before the changes to the integration code that have a substantial number of citations. I am getting it with numerous longer papers, but not with shorter ones with only one or two citations or with documents made after the beta release.
  • In another document, I’m getting an “index not defined” error.
    D2085558773
  • edited January 20, 2018
    [Merged from another thread]

Hey Guys,

since the last update of Office 2016 for Mac (16.9) and Zotero standalone (5.0.35-beta.4+2194dff7a) the error "id must be a positive integer" appears when I try to insert a citation or change the document preferences. I tried to narrow the error down to a specific citation which doesn't work. Sometimes, when I delete (either) half of the document, the error stops to appear and I can insert a new citation, sometimes this does not help. The document has around 200 pages and somewhat over 1000 citations.
    Citing in new documents works without any problems.

I have also sent you an error report (no. 1653955) and would really appreciate your help! Thank you so much!
  • Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero?

Otherwise, it is recommended to switch back to the stable build of Zotero. Word for Mac 16.9 support is not guaranteed to be bug-free on our side and the current beta has big changes to the underlying word plugin logic within Zotero too, which is likely to compound buginess.
  • You're on the beta on purpose? This is a known issue. If you need this to work right now, downgrade to the stable release by re-installing from zotero.org/download

If you want to help troubleshoot this in the beta (which would be great) edit your first post to include [beta] and @adomasven will be in touch here.
  • @adomasven sure, I have just sent the Debug-Log with the ID D1421958876

@adamsmith of course I can help troubleshoot. I am not really experienced when it comes to coding e.g. but maybe I can of help to you guys, as I really appreciate your work.
  • I've merged @rkehrberger's thread into this one, since it's the same issue.
  • The "id must be a positive integer" error should be fixed in the latest beta.
  • I re-installed the latest stable version (5.0.34). The problem is gone for now. Thanks for the help guys!
  • edited January 23, 2018
    @dstillman I can confirm that in the latest beta the error does not appear anymore. Thank you for taking care and fixing this!

However inserting citations now takes forever (about 30-40 secs before something happens). This could be due to the size of the document but did not appear before the update to Word 16.9.

Edit: This does also not appear in the latest stable version.