Problem with importing BibTeX to Overleaf -- .bib file appears blank in Overleaf project file

I have the BibTeX package in my LaTeX file. I have exported the references to BibTeX, BibLaTeX, and Better BibTeX files, ticking "export notes" each time. I tried with all three file types and all have had the same problem. When I select "add bibliography" in the Overleaf project manager and enter the name of the .bib file, it shows up as a project file but when I click on the file to get a preview it appears blank. When I try to add the file into my .tex, nothing shows up. How can I get the citations to show up in Overleaf?
  • sorry, I'm confused -- are you having or not having the same problem exporting locally?
  • so I exported it to a .bib file on my desktop and then I connected overleaf to zotero and used the "add bibliography" option in overleaf, clicked zotero, and entered the name of the .bib file. I just tried uploading it as a file from my desktop (just like I would with a jpeg or other file) and it successfully loads, but there are a lot of issues with the formatting of urls. does that answer your question?
  • This sounds like it could be that Overleaf's importer is deficient?

There are many aspects of BibTeX that are far from standard, but Zotero's default translator picks relatively conservative defaults that are used in other popular applications. That's not to say our exports are perfect. If you find an issue, please paste an example here. But: I'd consult Overleaf's support channels if you think you're uploading valid BibTeX.
  • Hi, I have a similar issue

I'm trying to use my Zotero bibliography in Overleaf. I import a bib document from my Zotero account to my Overleaf account (everything works until this point), yet Zotero's bib document starts with, for instance,: cochilco_anuario_2016, yet Overleaf accepts the format: Figueredo:2009dg. Can I do something to be able to export my Zotero bibliography in the format accepted by Overleaf, or should I change it manually?.
  • Sorry, I don't quite understand this. Are you directly linking Zotero to Overleaf or are you exporting a .bib file from Zotero?
    In either case, Zotero's citekeys are completely legal in bibtex and I've never heard of any problems with them in overleaf, so could you describe the problem you're having in more detail?
  • I'm sorry (I'm not English speaker).
    Are you directly linking Zotero to Overleaf or are you exporting a .bib file from Zotero?
    I'm importing my bibliography directly from Zotero to Overleaf. Each reference has this format in .bib:

@article{smith_health_2009,
    title = {Health Effects of Arsenic and Chromium in Drinking Water: Recent Human Findings},
    volume = {30},
    url = {https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.031308.100143},
    doi = {10.1146/annurev.publhealth.031308.100143},
    shorttitle = {Health Effects of Arsenic and Chromium in Drinking Water},
    abstract = {....},
    version = {2448},
    pages = {107--122},
    number = {1},
    journaltitle = {Annual Review of Public Health},
    author = {Smith, Allan H. and Steinmaus, Craig M.},
    urldate = {2018},
    date = {2009},
    pmid = {19012537}
    }

Nevertheless, the Overleaf for Peer J template shows me the following format:

@article{smith:2009,
    author = {Smith, Allan H. and Steinmaus, Craig M.},
    title = {Health Effects of Arsenic and Chromium in Drinking Water: Recent Human Findings},

journal = {Annual Review of Public Health},
    volume = {30},
    number = {1},
    pages = {107--122},
    year = {2009}
    }

When it compiles Overleaf indicates it does not accept smith_health_2009, I don't know if there is a way to get this smith:2009 (.bib format) from Zotero.
    Thank you, and sorry for my poor English.
  • The citekeys are not the problem -- I have those working in Overleaf.
    I'm guessing that the PeerJ template you're using relies on pure bibtex and that you checked the "optimize for biber/biblatex" box when linking to Zotero. If that's not it, I'd get in touch with Overleaf support. This really isn't a Zotero problem.
  • Thank you!, I'll check if this works.