Exporting working RIS files from Zotero to upload to Covidence

I am trying to export 7 references from Zotero to upload to Covidence (which supports imports as RIS files). Every time I try to export the references from Zotero (highlighting, right-clicking, selecting "Export Files") I get a blank RIS document. Does anyone know why this is happening? If I can't figure this out I will have to try to route everything through EndNote, which I hate. Thanks.
  • Which Zotero version exactly? And are you able to create a bibliography from those items (and if so, could you post part of that here)?
  • As often happens when one posts about a problem or calls tech support after struggling for a long time, I figured it out almost immediately after posting - I had naked PDFs in the folder that I was trying to export. After I associated them with the correct parent items, everything exported fine. Thanks for your help!
  • Cool. Yes, I suspected that might be the case.

I'm trying to think about a way to usefully tell users that's what's going on, but it's a bit tricky, as just skipping over top-level PDFs silently is almost certainly the right thing to do when they are just part of a larger export.
  • I wonder if a popup message like this might be sufficient.
    Exported items contained top-level attachment files without item metadata. These were skipped.
  • Hard to say -- @kellan82 would that have made sense to you or added confusion?