Data Field "genre" for entry type legal case not visible / not editable in Zotero 5

Hello,

citation styles for german law use the type of court decision (e.g. "Urteil", "Beschluss" by putting them in front of the cate of the decision. For example: an "Urteil" issued on November 8, 2017 becomes "Urt. v. 08.11.2017". However , I cannot access the genre field in Zotero and thus cannot enter the information that my court decision is of the type (genre) "Urteil".

A workaround would be to use some other field and change the citation stylesheet. This however would seriously diminish the value of my collection and my future work.

So I understand that the issue needs to be changed in Zotero, not the citation style sheet. Can Zotero be changed so the genre field of entries of the case category can be edited?

Thank you and best regards

Carl
  • You can add genre to the Extra field like this:
    genre: Urteil

You can then modify the citation style to print this. Note that Zotero cannot natively handle a lot of the complexity of legal citations, which are much more complex than other fields, particularly if you need to cite items from multiple jurisdictions. If you cite a lot of legal materials, I would recommend you check out Juris-M, a community-driven version of Zotero with extended support for multilingual and legal citations: http://juris-m.github.io

• @You can add genre to the Extra field like this:
    genre: Urteil
    --> this works.
    @ If you cite a lot of legal materials, I would recommend you check out Juris-M, a community-driven version of Zotero with extended support for multilingual and legal citations: http://juris-m.github.io
    --> juris-m looks good, but will probalby need some fiddling with style sheets to work properly for my (German adn EU-law) needs

Thank you very much for your quick and good reply!
  • I believe that EU at least is supported using the Myles international law tool in Juris-M. If you find that you need some changes to those jurisdictions, do contact Frank Bennett who is very responsive and interested in having good international support.