citation edit Ver. 5.23

edited October 30, 2017
I am running all of the updates including the FF connector.

Why am I seeing this at the base of the editor...

"Warning: If you edit a citation in the editor it will no longer update to reflect the changes in your database or the citation style."

Word 2016
Firefox 56.0.2
Zotero 5.23
  • It’s not an error. Just a warning about what it says—changing references here will mean that they won’t update if you change the item in your Zotero library. Using the bibliography editor is rarely the best approach. What exactly are you trying to do?
  • Ok thanks

Just changing italics and use of quotes and so forth. I was experiencing severe difficulties with it before I updated everything. I would edit an existing note and then its italicised title would be unformatted. I add some notes with something emboldened and it would ignore the formatting even if it posted the text edits I made to the citation.
  • To be clear, though -- manually editing citations should always be a last resort. Ideally you want to either edit the data in Zotero or the citation style.
  • "Ideally you want to either edit the data in Zotero or the citation style."

This is true and what I do frequently.

However, I am citing some war time cartoons which have no official title and require some human interpretation of the Chicago Style using the manual. Not every single instance can be covered by the programme. So I was making sure I could shift some things around and ensure that readers did not confuse my paper designation of "Image 2" for the title of the artwork I was referencing. Same goes for correspondence in the Chicago style.