Help adding tags from browser?

edited October 21, 2017
I recently installed the new Connector to Firefox as well as Chrome, and Zotero 5.0 on a new OSX machine. I can use the "Save to Zotero" page-like button to save to my library, so things seem set-up correctly.

The old Firefox plug-in used to launch a child window (when I clicked on the Z-like button) at the bottom of my browser in which I could directly add tags as I added references. Is there any way to do that now from within the browser window, or do I need to switch over to the Zotero stand-alone window to add tags (that would be a HUGE bummer for my workflow). Thanks for your help and suggestions!
  • I understand that changes in the way Firefox is coded reduce the control the software has over the browser. I need a workaround (or hear there isn't one) to add tags as I work. Thanks!
  • no, there's no way to do this from within the browser window. I'm not sure what counts as a workaround, but having Zotero Standalone open at about half screen size at the bottom of your screen and using command+tab (or some other version to quickly switch to different apps like three finger swipe) to switch between browser on Zotero provides a very similar interface.
  • Thanks, @adamsmith , for your quick response. Unfortunate to lose that in-window capability, but once I get used to that approach I think it will seem pretty seamless.
  • Hey everyone, are there any news on this issue?
    The connector in the Chrome Browser on Windows does allow to type in tags directly in the browser. Indeed, the Chromium Browser Extension on Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't. Am I doing something wrong or is it a missing feature in the Chromium Browser on Ubuntu?
  • @ray.walker: This is a very old thread that predates the current save popup in the Zotero Connector. The Zotero Connector works the same everywhere — you can click the down arrow to expand the popup and select a collection and enter tags. If you're not seeing that, you're either saving to zotero.org instead of the Zotero program or you're not using a current version of the Zotero Connector (or the right-hand edge of the popup is just cut off).
This discussion has been closed.