Sharing library

How do I share the library I have created with someone else? I have downloaded the most recent version of Zotero on my desktop, but there is no button or command that lets me share the documents with others. (I read in other threads that there is a button in the upper right corner, but this does not appear on my desktop version of Zotero, nor in the browser version.)

I tried creating a group and added the other person to it, and also tried saving the files on my desktop (by clicking: Export files - Zotero RDF), and then dragging and dropping it into the other person's Zotero account (in the browser), but that did not work either. I thought perhaps it would be possible to upload the exported files by having the other person log into their Zotero account on the desktop. However, when trying to do so, the notification said that all of the files (that are on my Zotero account) would be lost if I proceeded to log into the other person's account, so we did not proceed.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
  • could you say more about what exactly you're trying to do? How to share depends somewhat on the exact use case, though generally groups are likely the way to go.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/groups
    That said, you should have a sync button at the top right of Zotero. It's a round green arrow. Are you sure that's not there? Do you have a small screen? It's possible to hide it. You can also just set up sync in the "Sync" tab of the preferences and use autosync.
  • Thank you for the quick response, Adam.

I have uploaded ca. 500 docs (pdf), and my task has been to retitle each document in Zotero and share them with a collaborator. I have done this now, and want to share those pdfs. (with the new titles) with the collaborator, but it does not work.

I am using the free version of Zotero, but the collaborator has purchased storage space.

I do see the syncronizing button on the top right corner, and have pushed it several times. There is a red exclamation mark next to it, with a message that reads:

An error occurred during syncing:
    Group with libraryID 1 does not exist

I submitted a report, and it says that I should refer to report ID 1764410807 on the forum to describe the problem.
  • @dstillman will need to look at the sync error, which is quite odd.
  • @maralm: Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync that causes that error?
  • Thanks for the quick assistance. The Debug ID is D1204968177.

• Can you trigger the error again, and post here once you do? No need for a new error report.
  • I pushed the green "sync with zotero.org" button again. The red exclamation mark still appears, with the error message:

An error occurred during syncing:

Group with libraryID 1 does not exist
  • @adamsmith @dstillman Any suggestions or updates regarding the error discussed above?
  • Sorry, lost track of this because of the other person's posts here. Can you trigger this again?
  • The new Debug ID is D616193047.
  • And are you getting a prompt when you sync about switching accounts? You mentioned that above, but it's not clear to me if you're still seeing that.
  • No, there is no prompt about switching accounts. What I meant above was that I thought I could "save" the documents (with the edited titles) on my account onto my computer, and then log in with my collaborator's account and "paste in" the documents. However, I wasn't sure how to do the "save" thing and not sure if the documents/edits to the documents would be lost if I logged in with another account. Since it was over 500 documents, I didn't want to take that chance.
  • This is definitely a bug, but if you unlink your account in the Sync pane of the preferences (keeping your existing data), and then link it again, does this still happen?