I cannot retrieve Metadata for PDF.why?

I cannot retrieve Metadata for PDF.Other function is worked.
  • Report ID: doordy

When i click "retrieve ...",it will stuck and the progress bar isn`t move.

I am in china,but my network is OK.I can use "scholar.google.com".please help me.
  • If you're experiencing a problem, before restarting Zotero, open the Help menu in Zotero and select “Report Errors…”.

In the window that pops up, submit the error report, and then copy the Report ID (not the contents of the report) and paste it into your Zotero Forums thread. Error reports aren't reviewed unless referred to in the forums, since the reports generally aren't helpful without context and/or follow-up.

If you're not able to provide a Report ID, be sure to include your operating system and Zotero version in your forum post.
  • Report ID: 1339102091

When i click "retrieve ...",it will stuck and the progress bar isn`t move.

I am in china,but my network is OK.I can use "scholar.google.com".please help me.'

Zotero version:5.0.6
  • I'm pretty sure this is going to end up being a connection issue, but you can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a Retrieve Metadata attempt that fails?
  • Debug ID:D835965428

In addition,“Google Scholar search” and "crossref lookup" are not worked.

If i modify the “_urlTemplate” of “Google Scholar search” ,it's OK.
  • I'm afraid this just shows a request to scholar.google.com never returning, at least for the amount of time you waited before submitting the debug output (at least 15 seconds if not more). You can check the site certificate info for scholar.google.com to see if something is intercepting the connection, though normally that would result in a different error.
  • The certificate info is ok.But if i want use google scholar search,I need to modify the "_urlTemplate".Changed "http" to "https",i can use "google scholar search".

can I modify somewhere to make "get Pdf metadata" workd?
  • edited July 23, 2017
    Ah, OK — it looks like Retrieve Metadata for PDF was indeed using HTTP for Google Scholar. That should've been changed to HTTPS a long time ago. Done now in the latest 5.0 Beta, and the fix will be included in 5.0.7 within a few days. Thanks for reporting this.
  • Hi,

I've the same Problem with the newest Beta .. 5.0.8-beta.4+c110e6429
    Metadata search hangs complete or is very slow. :(

thx
    Christof
  • Christof-- Please provide additional information. Include the url for the pdf that causes your system to hang. I use this feature 10s of times each day and I quickly either get the metadata or a notice that metadata isn't available.
  • @ckluss: We'd want to see a Debug ID for an attempt that fails. (Note that debug output is generated via the Help menu starting in the 5.0.8 beta.)
  • @dstillman thx D639039525

@DWL-SDCA Unfortunately it does not matter with which PDF, it is with all the same problem, nothing happens. No progress at progressbar
  • now there are many warnings (but I do not think that this is the problem)

(4)(+0000000): SELECT indexedPages, totalPages AS total FROM fulltextItems WHERE itemID=? [6286]

(3)(+0000001): .attachmentMIMEType deprecated -- use .attachmentContentType

(3)(+0000000): .attachmentMIMEType deprecated -- use .attachmentContentType
  • I have same problem with the newest version 5.0.10

report ID : 754526983
  • @TaeyeonUM: Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for an attempt that fails? Also, what exactly is happening?
  • @dstillman
    D2034640449

When I try to retrieve certain pdfs, the progress window is open, but nothing happens after that.
  • OK, try 5.0.11, now available via Help -> "Check for Updates…", and if you're still having trouble provide another Debug ID. 5.0.11 may not fix the problem, but it should produce a more helpful error.
This discussion has been closed.