Zotero is not syncing after a long time.

Hi there, I'm currently experiencing some issues with my account regarding syncing to a group library from Zotero Standalone. I've waited for two hours, killed Zotero, restarted Zotero, and all that good stuff, but am still not seeing any results. It would be nice to have some light shed on to this issue. Thank you for your help in advance!
  • What's happening? I'm not seeing any recent sync activity from you.
  • My Zotero is unable to sync. The little green arrow is spinning, but it seems to be permanently stuck on getting updated data from sync server.
  • The Zotero Debug ID I've obtained is D1039760013. I've tried to uninstall and re-install Zotero Standalone and resync the files, unfortunately, that does not seem to have worked as well.
  • Fixed a server-side issue that was causing your syncs to fail. I now see repeated downloads from your account (including as recently as a few minutes ago). Make sure you're not force-quitting Zotero when it syncs — it may hang briefly while it processes the download, but if you let it go for a few minutes it should work.
  • Thank you! I managed to upload some of my files yesterday after that fix. However, the issue with the arrow being stuck on getting updated data from sync server is occurring today again. Would it be possible to take a look at this issue?
  • edited June 13, 2017
    Oh, you have a library with 126,000 items. You'll need to upgrade to Zotero 5.0, which has an entirely new sync architecture that can handle a library of this size. 5.0 is currently in beta but will be released very soon — you can switch back to the main version once the final is out.

For good measure, make sure you have a backup of your Zotero data directory before upgrading, but 5.0 should be pretty safe to use at this point.
  • I've downloaded 5.0, but it seems that the sync function has stopped again after a while. There appears to be an issue with importing files as well. I'll open up a new thread regarding this.

Apologies about all the questions, and thank you so much for responding as well.
  • No need for a new thread. We just need more info, starting with a Report ID.
  • edited June 14, 2017
    (Oh, a new thread about importing files, you mean — that's fine. But we need more info on the current sync problem here to help with that.)
  • The current sync problem is that it seems to be taking quite a while to download the files. I left my laptop running for almost 12 hours but it did not make progress after downloading a certain amount of files.

Report ID: 1410250347

This happened when I imported a .bib file into Zotoro, Zotero tells me it has to restart after a few moments.
  • Items or files? What does it say when you hover over the sync icon? Have you tried restarting Zotero?
  • When I hover over the sync icon it says Downloading items in AAI Meta Analysis.

I've restarted Zotero, but it still does not seem to resolve the issue.
  • Could you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that stalls?
  • Here you go D1039601868.
  • That seems to show a sync that's ongoing. Just to reiterate, you have an absolutely massive number of items, so this is going to take a very long time. But in 5.0 it should finish eventually.

You should be able to follow the progress by switching to the library it's syncing and looking at the item count in the right-hand pane (though if it's syncing child items you'll need to expand parent items with the "+" key for the count to go up).

It also looks like you may see some spurious conflicts for "The following values have no corresponding Zotero field" notes when the sync finishes. We'll look into fixing that, but you can accept either side for now.
  • Alright, thank you then! May I know what I should do to resolve the error which occurs when I import .bib files?

The debug ID I got is this, D826558629.
  • That's probably just failing because the sync is in progress. (We have some upcoming changes that will hopefully help avoid this.) Let us know if it still happens after the sync stops.
  • OK, the latest build, 212, should avoid those spurious conflicts I mentioned above.
  • The syncing is working fine now, I've gotten files up. This new problem cropped up though. While syncing it stopped and stated that an error occurred, and that o is undefined. I've restarted Zotero a couple of times and this is still happening.

The report ID is 386701257.

I apologise for all the constant questions.
  • OK, that one should be fixed now in 213.
    I apologise for all the constant questions.
    No need at all — bug reports are always appreciated.
  • Thank you, I've updated it and it seems to be working fine now. I appreciate your help and patience!
  • Hi, this error occurred when I was syncing. The report ID is 1491632601, and it reads as operation timed out.
This discussion has been closed.