Zotero Safari Connector for Mac Book Air Safari V8

Hello,

My Zotero Safari Connector for Safari Version 8 is not working. I installed it last week when it was working fine including when I shut down and restarted the computer, but this week it is just showing the 'save to zotero webpage snap shot icon' for everything and then saying it is not connected when I access the Zotero preferences. Within the advanced settings there are error messages showing up such as 'could not load translator' and 'Can't find variable symbol' but then the connector is just not connecting to the standalone application so I don't think the error messages are necessarily that indicative of what is happening.

They are for website thats should have data as they are ones I have used previously and am accessing through online journals through my uni. Regardless the same icon shows - also when I click it brings up the saving item box and either just doesn't progress or sometimes says it's not connected.

I spent quite a while getting to grips with the programme and how it worked and moving all of my references over to it, so it's quite annoying that it's now broken on me when I need it and so early on.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

• Can you provide a Report ID from the Safari connector?
  • Sorry i tried to copy it but Safari wouldn't allow me to. I didn't realise there was a report ID. I think this is one of them Report ID: 1089467096.

I've hit the send a report button a number of times as i've been trying to get it to work all day.
  • The problem with some of the reports in that one is that they will be from pages that don't necessarily contain the DOI. I've just tried to do it again on a page from my uni's database so it should now include the necessary information. This is the new Report ID: 38272048. The other pages weren't even being 'grabbed' as webpages though, which is different from last time.
    Weirdly if I use it in Firefox it does work, but I don't use firefox as standard and also when I click into the link within the standalone programme it will take me back into Safari. So I'd rather just work out how to get it to work in Safari. Firefox also doesn't seem to be extracting the pdf in the way it did with Safari!
  • It looks like the latest version of the Safari connector doesn't work on macOS 10.10 or earlier. We've stopped serving that version to people on those OSes and updated the download page to point to an older version of the connector, so you can reinstall the connector from the download page. Note, though, that 10.11 (El Capitan) has the same system requirements as 10.10 (Yosemite), so I'd strongly recommend that you upgrade if you use Safari as your default browser (and in general, since you'll get security updates and other software compatibility if you upgrade).
  • I have actually installed the older connector a number of times and restarted but it's still not working. I also don't understand why it was working fine for a week and then suddenly stopped?

My computer doesn't actually have enough disk space to update currently so ideally I'd like to make it work with what I have as it'll take me a while to back it up. Any ideas about the above two questions?

If I do update to the Sierra Mac OS in the future as it is prompting me to do, will the connector work with that also?

Thanks
  • We only put out the new Safari connector on Friday, so you would've been running the previous version before that. We'd need to see a Report ID from 4.0.28 to debug that, but it might help to click Reset Translators in the connector preferences from that version.
    If I do update to the Sierra Mac OS in the future as it is prompting me to do, will the connector work with that also?
    Yes, certainly. We would always recommend running the latest version your computer supports.