Zotero Plugin in LibreOffice on Mac: 100% CPU on core while inserting anything, unresponsive

Trying to insert a citation or bibliography in LibreOffice causes it to saturate one CPU core indefinitely without result and renders LibreOffice completely unresponsive.

Information for reproducing the problem:
* Macbook Pro: Mid 2014, 8 Gb Ram, i5 (Dual Core)
* OS X El Capitan: Version 10.11.6 (including latest updates)
* Zotero: Version 4.0.29.15 *STANDALONE* (latest version according to Zotero)
* LibreOffice: Version 5.2.6.2 (latest *stable* version according to Document Foundation)
* Java JDK: java version „1.8.0_131" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11) (Java JDK 8u131) from Oracle
* add-in for LibreOffice successfully installed via Zotero preferences dialog

The bibliography comprises about 330 entries. I'd be willing to share it with developers for debugging if required, though I do not want to publish it.
  • Well, installing it on Linux kind of gave me the right clue. Zotero standalone must be running while using this functionality in LibreOffice. Under Linux, the LibreOffice plug-in actually complains if Zotero is not running, which is really useful ;-) On MacOS it freezes LibreOffice instead of displaying a proper error message. Opening Zotero before using the LibreOffice plug-in under MacOS solves the issue.
  • edited May 13, 2017
    And to clarify, the dialog is still there, just not visible — you can press Enter or Esc to close it.

We'll hopefully be putting in a workaround soon to display these dialogs with Zotero instead of LibreOffice.