Zotero tool bar for Microsoft 365? (Mac OSX 10.12.3)

I've switched from using Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac to 2016 for Mac, and the Zotero toolbar I rely on seems to be missing. Is one available?
  • Thanks - unfortunately I am still stuck.

I've found these instructions a little bit confusing because I am using Zotero Standalone (quite happy using Safari and don't want to switch back to Firefox just because of Zotero if I can avoid it).

The instructions: https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions#manually_installing_the_zotero_word_for_mac_2016_plugin

Manually Installing the Zotero Word for Mac 2016 Plugin

First step: Find and open your Firefox profile (if using Zotero Standalone, the default filepath will be almost identical, but have “Zotero” instead of “Firefox”)
    In your Firefox/Zotero profile, open the folder extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install, where you you can find a copy of the file Zotero.dot.

Q1: Where do I get the plug in (install by hand) if I'm not using Firefox? All of the instructions about finding the profile are great*- but I use Safari & Zotero Standalone. Yikes. How do I get here: "extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install"
    * https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Profiles#w_how-do-i-find-my-profile

Second step:
    Find your Word startup folder and make sure Word specifies a startup folder using the instructions below. If you set the startup folder to a location already containing Zotero.dot, restart Word and you will see the Zotero add-on. Otherwise, you should now have two folders open: The Word startup folder and the “install” folder containing Zotero.dot
    Copy the Zotero.dot file to your Word Startup folder. (Be sure to copy the file rather than moving it.)

Q2: Where do I find this?

The one step I could do was the following... good instructions for "Locating your Word Startup folder"
    I've mapped to the zotero folder, and added this into the MacWord2016 > Preferences > File Locations > Startup.
  • I found another help page with a link to where I could download zotero.dot.
    Once I did this, and copied it to the zotero folder (which I identified via Zotero Standalone Preferences), and restarted Word, the add in was in the Add-in ribbon.
    https://github.com/zotero/zotero-word-for-mac-integration/raw/master/install/Zotero.dot

Thanks for your help Adam!!
  • After I tried everything I found on Zotero Forums, I still couldn't cite anything by Zotero Add-ins and the Word 2016 showed 'Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please check firefox is running and try again'.

I don't know what exactly I did, but I re-opened my Word 2011 and found original zotero toolbar still worked in Word 2011. Then I quit Word 2011, and open Word 2016 that I newly installed to try whether it could work on Word 2016, and finally I found that I can use Zotero citation toolbar freely in the add-ins of Word 2016.

In all, if you cannot connect zotero with word, after you add 'zotero.dot' into Developer>Word Add-ins, try re-open your Word 2011 and then turn to Word 2016 to see if it works.