How do I move items from my library into a group folder?

Hello,

This question is regarding moving documents from my personal folder into a group folder. I am using the Zotero chrome extension and all the documents I thought I was saving in a group folder were only copied to my personal library. Now I have numerous documents that I need to move, but can't find a way to do it. If this is not possible, how do I save the document to the group folder using the extension?

Thank you!
  • edited April 21, 2017
    Use drag and drop for copy items from your personal library to group library. For direct download record to group library should be enough to be in group library and then save a item from web. Connector save records to the active collection in Zotero
  • It sounds like you are using the Zotero.org web interface. You need to download and install the Zotero Standalone desktop program:
    https://www.zotero.org/download/

Zotero is primarily a locally-installed desktop program. The web interface has only a fraction of its features.
  • Dragging and dropping does not seem to work for me. Any advice?
  • You'd have to say more. In general drag&drop works -- where are you trying this, what happens when you do, etc.
  • edited June 29, 2018
    In the Windows desktop client (5.0.52). Specifically, I'm trying to move items from My Library to various Group Libraries. I've tried every combination of dragging individual/multiple items from My Library/collections within My Library to Group Libraries/collections within Group Libraries.

The destination folder highlights in blue with the expected '+' symbol, but when I release nothing happens. Nothing moves.
  • Can you manually create items in those groups?

If you create a new item in My Library, can you drag that to any of the groups?
  • Yes.

No.

I'm confused.
  • I assume you've tried restarting Zotero?

If so, could we get a debug ID for dragging a newly created item for a group in which you have made sure you can manually create a new item:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero

• Facepalm. I had restarted twice, and it hadn't made any difference. A couple more restarts and it now seems to be working. I think the issue may arise when new groups are synced. Still, the drag&drop is temperamental. Nothing happens when I try and move large numbers of items (i.e. >20). Thanks for your help @adamsmith
  • I am having exactly the same problem.
  • Start troubleshooting with my questions/requests from this post on: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/311663/#Comment_311663
  • Hi

Sorry to revive an old thread - this may be useful to others.

I moved 740 items from my personal library to a group library using Drag-and-drop.

The items do actually tranfer over and takes some time, but the process takes some time. Crucially, there is no progress bar, status message or ANY other indication during this time that something is happening.

In my case, the entire process took about 3 minutes (give or take) to complete. I was working on other stuff during this time so it might have completed earlier. 740 items copied in approx 3 mins is roughly 250 items copied per min, or faster.

Note to devs: might be a good idea to implement a progress bar when items are being copied between personal/group libraries.

tl;dr: when items are copying between libraries/folders, there is no progress bar - be patient! Expect 1min per 250 items being copied, as a guesstimate.