Zotero library in Macbook - empty - pls help!

Hi all,
A friend of my borrow my computer, when she return I found that my zotero is just empty no folder, no link, no book. However, I can still browse the data folder and files still there. When I check My Library in zotero website I can still see my books and note are still there online!

Could you please help me how to get back the library in my macbook?
I tried turn off my computer, restart zotero, update zotero.

I only have two months left for my thesis research. Please help me!

Thanks,
  • Hi, Finally I tried update new versions of zotero, after that I choose delete data from the local computer and sync with the data from zotero sever. However, the structure of my library is lost. In the online library in Opera browser I can still view different folders, notes within a book..
    But when I all I got after syncing is just a list of book/journal article in the computer. Please tell me now can I reverse to the normal state and can view the list of book under each folder.
    Thanks
  • When I choose reset data and sync from zotero server. It alert that I should restart my firefox. However, my Mac does not installed firefox, I use Safari. Then popup one error "Error updating Zotero translators and styles". After finishing, I got all the book downloaded but lost the tree structure. (The folders, under folder is the list of reference and under each reference may be the node. (I can still view the tree structure in my online library.
    Please kindly suggest how can I deal with this issue?

Best!
  • Please stop randomly resetting settings. In all likelihood, that is making things worse. Do not use reset unless explicitly told to do so by someone on these forums.

I am really having a hard time following what is wrong. When you log into Zotero.org, you can see all of your items and collections, correct?

What exactly do you see when open Zotero and sync your account (NOT reset, just a regular sync)? Please be as specific and detailed as possible. For example, I don't know what this means: "But when I all I got after syncing is just a list of book/journal article in the computer. Please tell me now can I reverse to the normal state and can view the list of book under each folder."

Would a language besides English be easier for you?
  • Hi, Thank you for kindly reply. English is not my first language! And I may use too much "progamming language". Let me explain in detail.
    At first, when I open zotero I can not see my collections. I try to create a new collection but still the new collection not display in the screen - I saw an emty table "title, creator..." However, my old collection still there, as I still can search for book title.
    Then I try "show" zotero data folder and back up it to the other place.
    After that, I did try to sync. However, when I open preference ->sync, entered user and password, then I do not know what to do next? There is no button, nothing to click. So I choose the tab Reset.
    I did hit reset, delete local data and then choose sync data from zotero server. It pops up error ""Error updating Zotero translators and styles". After finish, when I open zotero, I can see a list of my reference but without order. In zotero server in the website, the reference are put under some difference "collection".
    I hope it is understandable now? Please help me clarify or let me know if I can upload a picture, I will be happy to do so. Best!!
  • edited April 15, 2017
    Zotero sync automatically after starting. You have only checking correct account in Preferences.
    If you have a huge collection, then the first sync take a long time, so be patient - if you can see rolling green arrow in the top right corner of Zotero window then the sync is in the process. Clicking on this arrow you also can manually start the sync process
    Do you see correct collections on web zotero.org?
  • Yes, it just sounds like you are syncing your library and it hasn't finished yet. Like @LiborA says, please just let it sync until the spinning green arrow stops and it is done or gives you an error. Let us know how it goes.

• Hi all, I am installed Zotero on Mac.
    Like I said, I tried clicked on Sync, and input my username, password. However, the software just do nothing. There is no button for me to click.
    That's why I choose tab reset and try reset -> I got the list of reference of all the book downloaded but not yet divided into different collections. :(
    Please let me know how to sync ? I updated the latest version. Thanks!
  • edited April 16, 2017
    "The button" for you to click is the "green arrow" on the right-hand side of the Zotero toolbar! If this arrow is rolling, then the sync process is running.

EDIT: see this documentation page: https://www.zotero.org/support/sync
  • edited April 17, 2017
    Hi LiborA, thanks for reply me! I clicked the green arrow. However, it just rolling about three- four round then it is stop. Hence, nothing being sync. My internet connection still work. Therefore, I tried choose preference -> reset-> reset from zotero server.
    This reset function works but with an error """Error updating Zotero translators and styles". In my library, I have three books collection. But after finishing the reset thing, just only the reference list in one collection being download. And they are not saved under the name of the collection.
    What should I do please? I saw many document and video clip in the youtube as well but I could not find what to do. Thanks.
  • edited April 17, 2017
    Hi Dstillman, thanks!!!
    I read but I got no issue like that. My green arrow not turn into red, it also not spinning so long but just a few second. I has only one acc in zotero and install in only my personal computer. So.. may be my library is not yet being deleted but just hide?
    When I open zotero from My macbook. The list where we have my library->collections is dissapear. I saw only a blank table with two column: Title, Creator...
    If I click search function, Zotero still show me the book that is saved in my collections.
    ->So My library in my computer might be still there? May I need to show the folder where we can choose a collection ??
  • edited April 17, 2017
    The list where we have my library->collections is dissapear.
    Are you saying that you don't see the left-most column where normally you see My Library and your collections? If so, it's just collapsed, and you're in a collection without items. You can either drag from the left edge or click the dot in the middle of the small bar at the left edge to expand it.
  • Hi dstillman,
    Yes!!! You saved my life. Thank you so much! Really want to hug you tight! Best!