The file 'Zotero-LibreOffice-Plugin-3.5.12.xpi' is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened

I am using LibreOffice 5.3.1.1 on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. When I try to install the plugin into LibreOffice, it gives the message:
-----
The file 'Zotero-LibreOffice-Plugin-3.5.12.xpi' is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened. LibreOffice can try to repair the file.

The corruption could be the result of document manipulation or of structural document damage due to data transmission.

We recommend that you do not trust the content of the repaired document.
Execution of macros is disabled for this document.

Should LibreOffice repair the file?
-----
The repair fails.

How do I get LibreOffice connectivity?
  • That's a Firefox extension, to work with Zotero for Firefox. You don't install it into LibreOffice.

If you have Zotero Standalone, you don't need that file and can just reinstall the plugin into LibreOffice from the Cite pane of the preferences.
  • My confusion about what to install is from:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation
    where it says, "LibreOffice
    The latest version of the LibreOffice plugin for Zotero 3.0+ is 3.5.12 (tested up to LibreOffice 5.2.3.3).
    Install LibreOffice Plugin 3.5.12 (Firefox extension)"

So according to this page, to *install the LibreOffice plugin*, I am supposed to download the Firefox extension. You can understand my confusion, no? I find the location of the "install extension into LibreOffice" well-hidden.

I successfully got the extension added.
  • From the top of that page:
    The word processor plugins are distributed as Firefox extensions, which provide word processor integration to Zotero and install the necessary components into the word processors. After you have installed a plugin from this page, Firefox will prompt you to install later versions automatically the same way that it does for the Zotero Firefox extension.
    You don't need to do anything via the prefs by default.

The word processor plugins have always been bundled with Zotero Standalone, so in the upcoming Zotero 5.0, which will exist only as a standalone version, there won't be any need to install plugins separately.
  • So you are telling me that LibreOffice already knows about Zotero if I install the Firefox add-on and do absolutely nothing else?
  • If you install the Zotero LibreOffice integration plugin into Firefox, it automatically installs the LibreOffice plugin into LibreOffice, yes. If that doesn't work for some reason, or if it becomes uninstalled from LibreOffice, you can reinstall into LibreOffice from the prefs.
  • edited March 17, 2017
    And again, this is assuming you're using Zotero 4.0 for Firefox. You don't need to do anything in Zotero Standalone (including the upcoming Zotero 5.0).
  • OK, I think I understand.

Thanks.