transferring zotero standalone to new computer

I am relatively new to zotero and I need to transfer my standalone library to a new computer as the current computer appears to be on its last legs despite being only two years old.

I have tried repeatedly in different ways to copy the entire zotero data folder - to an external harddrive, across a network connection etc. but everytime it freezes at about 40% and I have to reboot the computer.

I managed to copy the zotero data folder to a harddrive by using a utility that ignores any errors its contents may cause and I also managed to export the library as a RDF without the computer crashing, which is what it does now everytime I try to execute any action at all.

So now I have a copy of the library, and the RDF. Would somebody please be able to tell me what I need to do to bring my old library into my new one ? I would really appreciate it. I have trawled through the forum but wasn't able to locate any description of the necessary steps.

Many thanks in advance

PS. It might be helpful to add that, I have always had the sync settings on but my standalone library has never synced to zotero.org, it remains completely empty.