Syncing problems with group libraries

Hello,

I'm having problems syncing. There are several of us transferring items into a group library, and at least two of us are having problems with syncing so that we can all see the updated group library. At my end, Zotero (both on standalone and Zotero for Firefox), just doesn't sync - the icon just perpetually turns. Another colleague has had an error message stating that we've used up our allocated storage, but I can see on my account page that we still have spare storage.

Thanks,
Shiv
  • It looks like you've made repeated full download attempts in the last few minutes. I'm guessing that Zotero is freezing and you're force-quitting it. Don't do that — just let it finish, or else the same thing will just happen again after you restart. The upcoming Zotero 5.0 will handle large syncs better.

For your colleague, they're likely getting that message about another group or their personal library — it should say in the error message.
  • Thanks. I wonder if you could help enlighten me with how Zotero group libraries work. We've got several team members uploading data into their own libraries and then transferring into the group library. We have purchased additional storage for the group library, but not for individual members for their own libraries. Therefore, do storage limits affect the amount of data they can store in their own libraries before transferring? Do we need to purchase additional storage for every team member? Or is it better for them to upload data directly onto the group library? If so, how do we back up the group library? Thanks again.
  • Therefore, do storage limits affect the amount of data they can store in their own libraries before transferring?
    yes and no. They can store the data locally in their personal libraries without limit and then drag the items over to the group (which I understand has sufficient storage) where they'll sync. The files in their personal library won't sync beyond 300MB, though.
    So I'd think you'd be OK without buying additional storage, but obviously you'll have to decide that for yourself.
    You'd back up the group library just like a personal library
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_library
  • Thanks Adam. Just a couple of further questions please.

- Using the method you've described above, after storing the data locally, should they NOT sync until they've transferred their files over to the group library? Will any data exceeding the 300MB limit disappear from their own libraries?

- Is it only the group owner who can back up the group library? I'm just trying to figure out where the physical backup of the group library lies. And whether the backup can be kept in a computer other than that of the group owner.

Cheers,
    Shiv
  • no, they can sync, they'll just receive a sync error (or they can disable file sync for the personal libraries, which is probably the better solution). Zotero never deletes items locally because you're over your storage quota.

it doesn't matter who backs up. Anyone fully synced with the group can do so.
  • Thanks Adam, that's really useful.