[5.0 Beta] Data directory migration not finishing

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero 5.0 Beta.
  • 5 beta standalone update to latest version. How much time should "data directory migration in progress" require? It is taking a very long time (13721 items , 2.8T free space on HD). Does do not interrupt mean that by writing this message (going to a different window to the Chrome browser) that I am interrupting?
  • Is this on a Mac? Unless you have some of unusual setup where the old data directory was on a different drive than ~/Zotero, it should be instantaneous. Take a look in ~/Zotero and in the old location to see what files are in each.
  • edited December 6, 2016
    It is on a Mac.

At first, after reading about an update here, I went to Help/check for updates. The connecting process with progress bar was taking a long time. I closed the stand-alone but first activated a debug after a restart. When I did restart, I received the message about directory migration. After a few hours, I moved the Zotero window a bit to see if there might be some other popup that was hidden behind it. When I moved the Zotero window, the box with the directory migration message didn't move with the Zotero window but remained in its original position. upon moving windows around the red-bordered message went away. I returned to Zotero, found that the new version was installed and the directory location was proper. I tried to get the debug number for what started out as a delayed connection to the update. However, there was no indication of a debug in progress so no number to report. (Should a debug report carry through when there is a version update?) I hate to make an error report with so little information. I'm really sorry that this isn't more helpful.

All seems to be working normally after doing testing with r88. Files are in ~/Zotero and the setting in preferences points there.

I have only one drive , the original fusion drive that came with the iMac. I have an external drive that I use with TimeMachine but I haven't touched that in many weeks. I do have a second monitor.

• What was the status of the main Zotero window while that popup was showing? Was it a progress bar, or the normal Zotero panes with your data?

When you say the directory location is proper, do you mean that it's now located at ~/Zotero?
  • edited December 6, 2016
    Normal Zotero panes when the red-bordered box related to migration appeared. No progress bar for the migration.

Yes. Zotero files are now in ~/Zotero. I didn't check the old location but I can if it will be helpful. I'll need ro be reminded of the location of the old files.
  • When I made the original effort to check for an update there was a progress bar associated with the connection message. The progress bar showed no movement. My original issue was with that and I tried to send you debug info. I restarted Zotero and began opening with what was the new version. It was at that point that I received the migration message. It seems possible that the migration did occur instantaneously but the do-not-interrupt message didn't close when it should have.
  • Dan, if you are willing to some hand-holding I'm willing to roll back to an earlier version from time machine and to retrace the steps that led to this issue.
  • It seems possible that the migration did occur instantaneously but the do-not-interrupt message didn't close when it should have.
    OK, yes, sounds like that was the issue. I'll see if I can reproduce, but don't worry about it — this is the same pop-up that's used for saving, and there might be some logic that keeps it open if you hover over it, etc. So nothing specific to the migration, and sounds like that worked fine. Thanks!
  • Fixed in the latest build. The pop-up shouldn't have been showing in Standalone anyway, only a progress meter in the middle pane.